Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

Yeah I don’t really get it. He has been a fantastic servant for the club, has helped us to win some really important trophies during his stay, among them the elusive 19th. He was a mainstay in the side during all that time, and also scored some really important goals in key moments.

Now he wants to move elsewhere to see something else. Where’s the problem? He’ll leave us at the end of his contract, as is his right. I’ll only wish him good things when he goes, we couldn’t have wished for anything better from him when he joined us five years ago. If only all our transfers panned out that positively, we’d win the league every year with ease.

6 Likes

Absolutely. And he deserves it. One of the important cogs and trustworthy player in the midfield that won the PL and CL for us.

5 Likes

He definitely deserves a good send off his effort can never be questioned.

However, for me he hasn’t forced himself on games in a positive sense enough, every now and again you will see a quick piece of pace & skill where he bursts past defenders and looks impressive ‘for a moment’

But mostly he his too safe, you can question if that is the tactics and the coaching, but I always thought he was at his best when he got angry and took the ‘bull by the horns’ and went for it.

Been a great servant and I will always remember his awesome smile and that Barca game, but for me he had more than what he gave, he needed a bit of Milly or Suarez in him, a bit of mongrel to not let the game pass him by.

1 Like

Does anyone here not want to sign him just so that Jurgen is forced not to pick him?

Generally over his tenure here, I believe he has been doing what he’s asked to do and that too meticulously. Else, Klopp wouldn’t have persisted with him so often and he wouldn’t have probably been the one who played the most under him.

4 Likes

I think it’s fair to say that most of us would have wanted him to be more “visible” during games, but we mustn’t forget that he was and is a big part of our ascendancy from 2016 through 2020. A number of big goals in his first year, none bigger than that rocket against Middlesbrough, and his contribution against Barcelona was even more significant. He might not have been the final missing piece in the way that Virgil or Ali would be labeled, but he was certainly an important cog in the machine. I can’t say I blame him for wanting one more bumper contract, but I also can’t say I blame the club. Best of luck to him.

3 Likes

He hasn’t scored many goals, but he has scored many important goals.

He deserves a rousing farewell.

5 Likes

Great compilation, great memories.

2 Likes

I think he has been really poor this season and whether that’s the playing time or the fact he is likely to be off who knows.

However up til this season he has been a good player for us so I wish him all the best.

4 Likes

I think he was just too exhausted. Even Henderson got injured and he had to play in all conceivable games.

I find it hard to blame him for being below his usual standard this season.

Pretty much everyone has had a poor season - a lot of reasons all coming together to create 1 massive clusterfuck, yet here we are, with 3 games left and C/L qualification is in our hands, so the season may not be the doom and gloom that most would have you believe.

Even when everyone else was dropping like flies, Gini still rocked up week in/week out and put in 100% effort. As much as I would have loved him to extend his contract, will wish him luck for the next stage of his career - just not against us

4 Likes

The legend predicted at least 10 goals in his first season.

:heart_eyes: :joy:

He’s currently at 150 games without an assist from open play, come on Gini, break that record before you leave!

1 Like

No there isn’t, you can safely leave him on the ball covering the passing lanes to our more creative players as 99.9999% of the time Gini won’t create a chance or threaten your goal.

2 Likes

Amazing shot, Gini.

Another one for the failed/off the target compilation.

2 Likes

Our squad have lost confidence in the ability of our attack so much so even Gini and Fabs are shooting now. :cry:

How many more times are you going to mention his lack of goals/assists?

I always remember his opinion of himself and find it funny when I see it on the pitch.

:joy:

2 Likes

Just witnessed the moment of the season. Another Liverpool miracle and some people are thinking about negatives. :man_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

Yes it’s hilarious seeing him miss the target.