Georginio WIJNALDUM: 2020/21

8 Likes

https://youtu.be/uReIaUYJ18o

3 Likes

Good bye Gini and thanks for the memories you fucking legend.

12 Likes

Thanks, Gini. Itā€™s been a pleasure. :heart:

3 Likes

Still puzzled why heā€™d want to leave us. :thinking:

But he probably has a better offer elsewhere. More $$$, possibly also more fun in a sunnier country. Whateverā€¦

We couldnā€™t have expected more of the lad. He gave us everything he could and more over these five years. Was a key part of all our winning runs, and was a physical rock for us. Dutch steel.

We are going to miss him for sure, especially his ability to stay fit at all times. That is something Klopp and co. will have to take into account: taking Gini away means that weā€™ll need two more bodies into that midfield for next season, as all our other midfielders tend to injure themselves now and then.

Farewell Gini, all the best wherever you go!

8 Likes

He doesnā€™t, but the club wonā€™t offer him the deal he wants (i.e. Length and value).

I think itā€™s the right time for him to move on, sentiment aside whilst heā€™s been robust this season he has been part of a midfield which has struggled a lot. We need fresh injections all over the team, itā€™s the perfect time to go have new challenge.

3 Likes

Itā€™s going to take 30-40 million to replace him. Iā€™m sure Klopp has planned for him leaving, so he must have someone lined up.

4 Likes

I hope he gets a role wherever he goes in a much advanced role. Heā€™s done a thankless job for us with all the hard and dirty workā€¦ a new challenge would do him good as well. Might score a few like he does for the country.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure that he has offers. He says he hasnā€™t signed anything yet, but thatā€™s probably due to having several options.

As for the club, they better get his replacement right. If another sicknote like Keita comes in, it could throw us back a lot. In my book, we need two new midfielders now Gini goes and we know that we canā€™t rely at all on Keita to even stay fit for a few weeks in a row. As said, all other midfielders we have tend to injure themselves during a season. We need a similarly fit player.

1 Like

According to Gini, he hasnā€™t signed to any club yet. Maybe he will stay with us.

2 Likes

The weather today wonā€™t help to persuade him to stay. Itā€™s bloody awful.

1 Like

He wonā€™t mind the weather he is from Holland. I more worried about our Brazilian lot seeking sunnier shores.

4 Likes

That was his 51st appearance of the season. I hope weā€™ve got someone lined up who JK is going to trust to the same extent and who never gets injured.

3 Likes

Naby Keita?

Ah shit sorry you said never get injured.

I thought you said always.

My bad

2 Likes

Ideally get him on a new contract. For him , the only possible upgrade is a move to Bayern. Otherwise , heā€™s best served sticking with us.

Gini is a Liverpool legend, no two ways about it. Glad he got a good send off today.

Iā€™m not particularly worried about us replacing him though, weā€™ll be fine.

7 Likes

Iā€™m in two minds over his Liverpool future (thatā€™s non-existent by the looks of it, only for the sake of discussion) but no one can take away from him that he was a very good signing for this team. Absolutely instrumental in teamā€™s success through his tactical adaptability and availability (Sturridge was often compared to Mr. Glass - Wijnaldum has obviously been his David Dunn).

It took me a while to understand that he wonā€™t be the free scoring attacking midfielder that he promised to be in his early career and it took him a while to grow into his new role under Klopp. Once he got there, though, he was immense. Probably three, three and a half outstanding years out of five heā€™s been here. I vividly remember the Middlesbrough game four years ago, that was his first big moment in a Liverpool shirt that I remember.

I am curious about the real reason why he couldnā€™t agree a new contract with the club but thatā€™s less important at this moment. I just hope he ends up at some cool club like Atletico or Dortmund, where heā€™ll be appreciated for the player he is, not for being a very good player who happens to become a free agent. Realistically, though, heā€™ll end up at a club like Barcelona or Bayern, likely the former, but I honestly wish him nothing but the best, itā€™s what he deserved (unless heā€™s playing against Liverpool, that is).

10 Likes

Really?

He regularly plays 40+ games for us each yea rod our success under Klopp.

Who do you think will come in and replicate that?

Considering that Hendo, Thiago and Fabinho, who would be our midfield 3 are pretty injury prone and regularly miss 5-10+ games per season

To replace Gini on a like for like basis (somebody who will come in and hit the ground running) will be 50-60 million+

3 Likes

Great post

1 Like

I am absolutely heartbroken and will miss him dearly.

All the best Gini, I wish you great success wherever you go.

YNWA :heart:

8 Likes