Germany based Reds

I suspect not. If you go down the VPN route the iplayer will work. We use NordVPN for it. I actually have an additional router for it.

Where are you in Germany? It’s possible to get Satellite in some western places if you don’t mind fiddling with a dish - you’d have access to Freesat afterwards if that would be of appeal.

Berlin

Cheers, looks like vpn. Is a seperate router essential?

OK, I suspect you’d need something that looked like Jodrell Bank. It looks like NordVPN do a free trial if you want to go down the VPN route.

We only use the separate router for Chromecast. Originally it was for our works VPN as they are based in Yorkshire but they have a different solution now.

Cheers. Good advice all round.

2 Likes

9 Euro ticket is great! I’m going to spend all day going around the s-bahn ring :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I wish i could move to Germany!
It costs a fortune to travel by train in the UK. A return ticket from London to Lime Street is £120 plus if i booked next week.

It costs almost a £10 going around London and that is zone1-4 on the tube and bus. We are being ripped off.

It is cheaper for me to fly to Glasgow than to go by train and cheaper go to Brussels or Amsterdam on Eurostar than anywhere in the UK.

I heard you can go to the German coast from Berlin on 9 Euros

2 Likes

Unfortunately it’s just temporary, 3 months.

It’s just for a couple of months to persuade people to use trains rather than drive, but it’s really good.
All my daily commuting and social travel around Berlin which would usually be about 60 euros a month and any trips we want to make into the surroundings.
You can’t use it on express trains though, so travelling over long distances would be time consuming, but it’s a great deal really.

2 Likes

Annoyingly it would have worked perfectly for a trip that I have planned coming up… Except it’ll be in Nov/Dec.

1 Like

Why would you want to come to Germany at that time? It’s dark and cold and nasty!

1 Like

Christmas markets of course!

Have you seen the UK? Inferior Christmas markets, inferior dark, inferior cold, but all-round superior nastiness…

Might be the best place to stay warm in Germany come next winter

1 Like

Where is?

Christmas markets. It was meant as a joke, don’t worry about it

Why else do you think I’m going? :crazy_face:

What’s nice in Köln, and how long should one spend there?

The people and for eternity.

3 Likes

Und zu spät für die Oktoberfest :joy:

Oh wait, you hate München or is it only Bayern … :innocent:

Overall, I heard travelling by train in Europe is still much cheaper than the UK. At least it is still a discount for you guys for a few months. We don’t get anything in the summer months.

I often like travelling on a bus or the end of the tube line just to have a ride.

I haven’t tried the new Elizabeth Line, but it heard it is really nice ride and it is a smooth ride. I live near a station which is connected with that line.