Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

The sensible thing for him to do is to wait it out and move on a free next summer. If he feels he’s been underpaid, the obvious way to redress that is to get his Bosman, and trouser a huge signing on fee next year.

Think Liverpool will be fine with that too.

4 Likes

We won’t get much money for him. We are better off letting him go for free next year if a contract cant be agreed. Pushing him out now means we lose one of our fittest players and threatens to disrupt the squad now the season has started.

9 Likes

I don’t see it like this, Gini has shown nothing but actually stepping up his level whilst his contract winds down. He would leave next summer with our thanks and nothing but good memories.

Curtis Jones is ready to fill more minutes and I actually think a shift to 4231 is on the cards hence the Jota/Taki purchases.

5 Likes

I’m chilled about the whole thing. Hopefully he signs a new deal as he is a good player and gives his all in a red shirt. If he doesn’t, then we still have a good player who will give his all for another season, and with the games coming thick and fast that will be invaluable.

If someone is to buy him before the window shuts, it has to be right. If they try to pull our pants down on the fee, we won’t deal, as the player is far more important to us than a few measly quid.

Gini can assess his options next summer if he doesn’t sign a new deal, and at that point he will be a Bosman player who will sign a very lucrative deal at a nice place of his choice.

If that’s what it comes down to, he will leave with our best wishes, and hopefully another Prem and CL medal.

2 Likes

I think it’s more important that we keep him for now, even if that means he leaves for free next summer. Very valuable member of the first team and will be sad to see him go when he does.

3 Likes

Thats why i said i cant see him leave in January at all, in the midst of a title challenge no less. I was hoping that he would sign a new contract or be sold at the start of the window. But being this close to the end of the window, i would be really surprised if he is gone this summer too. Seems like he is destined for free next season. But my personal preference will always be to sell a player than let him leave on a free.

1 Like

I dont disagree that he will still perform and stay fit like always this season. But i will always prefer to sell a player than let him leave on a free personally, irrespective of the fee.

But since window is closing, i cant see him leaving this summer either.

And Jota can play almost anywhere up front, and Taki can play two or three positions too. So, their signings dont necessarily point a shift in 4231, but Klopp certainly can shift it if he fancy it. Jones i agree, can make a huge step up if he continues his development trajectory this season.

1 Like

That makes no sense. Surely there must be an amount below which you wouldn’t sell a player, simply to avoid them leaving for free at the end of the season? What would that amount be for Wijnaldum?

Personally I want us to keep him unless the offer is sensational (by which I mean at least £30m). Worth bearing in mind that any chance of getting a fee for Wijnaldum is also dependent upon him wanting to join that particular club. He may not want to move either at this time or to whichever club we get an offer from.

5 Likes

Why does it not make sense ? It was just a personal preference.

And as to the fee, sure i wouldnt want to sell Gini for say 1m just to not let him leave for a free, but thats just a weak attempt to undermine the point i was making. Only an idiot would sell him for that amount.

But lets say we get an offer for Gini for his supposed market price with a 1 year contract, believed to be around 20 to 30m, i would always want to sell a player and cash in on him if he aint signing a new deal, rather than let him leave for a free, and plan for his replacement. Thankfully, we got Thiago already even before he left, so we are in a good place. The key word here is value, which you completely ignore to twist my regardless of fee statement, which i admit, could be interpreted wrongly too.

1 Like

Definitely keep him for this season. If he goes next season then we should all wish him well.
Curtis will be able to help out much more, but not sure who could fill in for Milner if he goes. I would imagine Klopp would look to the academy first.
@Sweeting Is there anyone who could step up next year and fill Milner’s role? Obviously they wouldn’t be a nailed on starter but neither is Milner now.

You confirmed that it made no sense to sell him “irrespective of the fee” because you have now said that “only an idiot would sell him for [£1million]”.

You now say about your original post that “the key word here is value” and say that this is something I completely ignored. Not sure I could ignore a word (or even a point) that didn’t even appear in the post I was replying to, even after your edit. You expressly excluded value by saying that you would sell him “irrespective of the fee”.

Given that you now accept that it is dependent on the fee, and you wouldn’t sell him for £1m because you’re not an idiot, what would you sell him for? What about £5m? What’s the smallest fee you would accept to make sure that you didn’t lose him on a free next year?

2 Likes

23.5m for me i think

would’ve said 18m back when this seemed on, but now i’m not erroneously tying it to bringing thiago in, and see the wisdom in having the depth to compete on all fronts with the condensed fixtures

1 Like

To my mind we keep Wijnaldum… unless the offer is too good to turn down. I would dismiss anything under 20M out of hand, but anything over that I might start to talk. He is an important player to us, the games are coming thick and fast, so we need him.

On the other hand, if the offer is good enough, I would let him go, assuming he also had the desire to move on, and be satisfied that we have world class Thiago and a rising Curtis Jones.

2 Likes

Barcelona usually get the shirts printed and organise the unveiling before they actually make any bids.

But seriously, for all people have criticised the club for not using the market to make a statement of intent, for me the biggest statement of intent the club could make would be knocking back any bid for Gini and resolving to keep him for the year, even if that means losing him on a free.

That’s saying that it is more important to maximise our chance of winning this season that cash in for £20m.

The club have form for this. They allowed Emre Can to run down his contract because it was more important to keep him as we pushed for CL qualification.

4 Likes

If signing one of the best midfielders in the world, who has just won the Champions League and left the perennial Bundesliga champions to join us, isn’t a “statement of intent”, I’m not sure what is. :thinking:

7 Likes

Again another twisted logic to twist my word. I said “my irrespective of fees” was prone to be interpreted wrongly, which you are doing for arguments sake. And nowhere did i say i posted the “value” rhetoric but inferred it was a logic to be grasped for anyone with a brain to comprehend and read a post, but you had to complain about its inexistence just to mend your wounded pride.

And i am not going to tell you what i considered an acceptable fee, given your twisted vanity for repetitive logic. But like i mentioned, if the value is correct, i will always prefer to sell a player than let him leave on a free. Good luck with deconstructing my “irrespective of fee” to completely ignore the point of the post.

1 Like

I can see them doing that if the bid is £20m but there must be a point where a bid becomes too good to turn down. Thankfully, I don’t think any club is going to reach that point given the current state of the market (or, more relevantly, football finances). I think Liverpool would cash in for £30m or more (providing Wijnaldum wanted the move) but I don’t think any club is going to spend that sort of money on a non-scoring non-assisting (it’s a word!) 29yr old midfielder with 1 year left on his deal.

2 Likes

:rofl: Ok.

Good chat.

1 Like

Good chat indeed😂

1 Like

It would be crazy to sell him especially after his performance v Arsenal, if we cant convince him to sign then good luck to him at end of season.

2 Likes