Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

That worked out well for them this season.

4 Likes

Given the recent news of Poch wanting out, and now the stories of him speaking to Gini, perhaps he has won more control at PSG?

3 Likes

Any news of Barca getting screwed fills me with happiness. I guess Koeman was not that big of a draw.

4 Likes

Seven in nine seasons is pretty much guaranteed. Especially when Lille Lyon and Monaco will be plundered this summer whilst PSG will likely get stronger.

1 Like

He knows Koeman can easily be gone in a space of months, Barca as a whole was the lure… but then money talks with PSG’s double offer.

3 Likes

How much are PSG offering him?

We don’t know (yet). Double Barca’s offer (which was lower wages than he was here) and until 2024, which was possibly also important as he will be on the verge of 34 when it ends.

5 Likes

Good for him. He deserves it.

He was on half of Bobby’s wages here. Barca offering him even less and PSG offering him double of Barcas offer would mean he is still on less than many of our players.

5 Likes

Didn’t he have an offer including a pay raise on the table for quite some time?

He accepted the trade-off to run out his contract and receive a large signing bonus somewhere else. We don’t need to feel bad for him / act like LFC took advantage of him.

10 Likes

Much happier he goes to PSG for a salary he wouldn’t get here. The idea of him leaving for a 3 year contract on less than he was earning when he first signed for us 5 years ago while turning down our (surely much higher?!!?) offers when ‘he wanted to stay’ pissed me off greatly.
The likelihood that he would then have continued to perform well at Barca and we’d have a midfield injury crisis next year while paying Keita and Ox would have made me (in the style of Shaun Micallef) ‘mad as hell’.

1 Like

He’s lifted the biggest trophies with us - and would challenge for them again if he stayed.

I’m sure he wants a chance to complete for big trophies, but this is his last chance at breaking the bank. Of course it’s about the money.

I don’t blame him one bit - he put in hard yards and did the quiet dirty work for us for years, now he wants to cashed in. I loved him and still do, but we’d be crazy to overpay to keep him.

4 Likes

He’s been earning close to £5m a year since he was here, it’s not like he’s on the breadline.

Personally don’t give a shit where he chooses to go but I would have more respect if his choice was footballing reasons and not money.

Although playing with Mbappe would be something to tell the grandkids about

1 Like

Why the thread heading been changed? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Ben Davies also got a higher salary when he signed for us.

We are not only being unkind and unreasonable to a player who has been central to our recent successes, but aren’t we exposing our own hypocrisy?

4 Likes

Now that he’s not joining Barcelona he’s a legend. :joy:

1 Like

I feel like I’m the only the guy in the focus group who neither loves nor hates Marmite.

I’m not really bothered where he goes. I don’t think he did us dirty and I don’t think we did him dirty. He undoubtedly did good things for us, and us for him, but he’s not irreplaceable and I wish him well.

18 Likes

Well said El Cuchillero.

That about sums it up. He did well by us. We did well by him. Now he’s off to a new challenge, and good luck. Both parties will be quite fine after we ‘break up’.

My suspicion is PSG will have a better chance at the CL for the next few years than Barcelona. PSG are there or thereabouts, whereas Barcelona are fading, relatively speaking, and have money problems.

3 Likes

No. We don’t know what he was offered by the club, but there is little reason to think it wasn’t a fair offer - particularly if the claims by Barca about their offer being lower are true.

3 Likes

My point is, while we are saying that Wijnaldum is going to PSG for a higher wage, players we signed also got higher wage than their previous club. It’s only natural that a player will accept the best deal for himself.

8 Likes

It’s not quite the same, but City fans are still booing and hissing at Milner whenever we play them. I like to think we’re more sensible than that.

2 Likes

Are they? Didn’t notice that. Poor if true.