Gini Wijnaldum (CM) - PSG

Any proof that he was asking to be one of our Top earners or even be our Top earner with 33% more than VvD?

Ridiculously naive to even think he did.

1 Like

Just as naïve to believe that he wasn’t. Truth is we don’t really know and all we have to go on is Gini’s hints and insinuations which imho isn’t shining the cleanest of lights upon him.

3 Likes

Well a big indication is that he’s ended up on very similar wages to what reports said he asked for here. Him and his agent had freedom to talk to foreign teams since January. Since January reports started stating that is what he was asking for to stay. Then that’s what ends up agreed elsewhere. Sometimes if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it really is a duck and you don’t need to try any harder to find something else that makes sense.

2 Likes

Yes, he’s not irreplaceable but he does need replacing or at least we need another body in centre mid. Superficially we have options outside of Hendo/Fab/Thiago but not a lot of real depth when you look more closely. Jones is young and inconsistent, Milner old now for a top flight player and Keita and Ox are just not reliable.

I don’t understand the bitterness in here towards Gini. He frustrated the hell out of me a lot of the time but JK clearly loved him and that counts for a lot. His send off from the squad and manager was warm and genuine. Nothing that indicated he was being a greedy bastard. It’s only natural he’ll want a big pay day after years of being on worse wages than some players who haven’t made anything like his level of contribution. I don’t remember many players coming to Liverpool to take a pay cut so there’s a lot of hypocrisy around criticism of whatever wages he may now be getting at PSG. Good luck to him.

10 Likes

Looking forward to extended contracts:

Trent and Robbo £250k a week.

Alisson £300k a week.

VvD £350k a week.

Salah £400k a week.

:joy:

We have replaced him, with Thiago!
The problem lies with Keita and AOC and their injury issues otherwise we wouldn’t be speaking of this. Would we?

7 Likes

I think so too, in a normal season we would have played most of the matches with a Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago midfield.

2 Likes

Not a fan of PSG at all but I’m happy for Gini that he gets his big money move and I think it makes it easier for us to accept why we let him get away. If he had gone to Barca on a 3 year contract for less/similar to what he was already on with us then I would have been pissed.

5 Likes

I would be questioning the validity of those sources reporting that…

1 Like

Who?

(10 characters)

Yes, but those issues are real. We can’t rely on either of them. It’s as much a matter of replacing them as replacing Gini.

4 Likes

That’s what I said. :wink:
We do have Milner and Jones who are both reliable imo.

1 Like

Yeah the only reason we need to replace Gini is due to them. If they were reliably fit those two, Jones, Milner, Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago would be fine. As it is I actually think we should sell those two to fund the Gini replacement as losing those two won’t actually harm us at all.

2 Likes

I think so too, Thiago was his replacement and we had him up to speed before Gini even left the building.

4 Likes

So, not as if he was underpaid at Anfield then. But if this is true then he’s getting a huge amount for someone his age who isn’t seen as being some kind of superstar.

3 Likes

As long as Gini doesn’t carry on the “the fans will know the truth” stuff I have no problem with him moving on. He got offered a better contract elsewhere, and it’s not as if he’s moving to China or Qatar, he’s still playing for a big European club. All fair enough.

As for replacing him? Pretty relaxed about that. His performances last year were rather disappointing on the whole. Jones and Milner were almost always the better performers in the second half of the season. Even before a replacement we’re in a solid situation, though I’d still like a Bissouma type or someone similar.

Good luck to Gini in the euros, though I hope he doesn’t win as much as a raffle playing for PSG.

8 Likes

Well, I will not agree about Jones. He was much better in the first half of the season.
all players were poor at the start of the season and Jones wasn’t at his best either.
Curtis started and played at the start of 2021 vs. City at home /lost 1-4/, Everton at home /lost 0-2/, Leicester away /lost 1-3/ and finally vs. Chelsea at home /lost 0-1/.

Then he lost his place as a starter /not saying he was worst player on the pitch, but he defeinitely was not able to spark the midfield into life/ and only time when he started was at WBA, when he was substituted after 59 minutes amid pretty unconvincing display. At that point /the loss vs. Chelsea/ Klopp decided and played for most of the time Fab,Tiago and Gini and this combination worked pretty well - 8 wins /every time those 3 started we won/ and only 2 draws and 1 loss vs. Fulham at home /when our 3 midfeilders were Gini, Keita and Milner/

All matches where Fabs or Hendo played in defense and Gini played in midfield. Oh, and Ali in goal.

You might have a point if it wasn’t for the fact that we were drawing 1-1 vs City when Jones was subbed off, winning 1-0 vs Leicester and losing 1-0 against Everton. So for 3 out of those 4 games you mentioned the result worsened when Jones was subbed, and in the other it stayed the same.

7 Likes

Nice!
Also we couldn’t score to save our lives at the time. Only 14% shot accuracy against Chelsea. :cry:

Oh and you bettered me by a long way. :grin: