Giorgi Mamardashvili (GK) Valencia

Not convinced this makes a lot of sense unless Allison has indicated that he wants to move on or retire in the next couple of years, which is quite reasonable.
Does leave question mark over Kelleher,if he doesn’t go,and as he wants and needs more game time, that too looks reasonable.And the young lads have a way to go yet.

Kelleher is probably wondering why he should stay. Clearly the club don’t see him as Allison’s successor, so what would be the point in sticking around at his age.

If Celtic was an option and he turned them down, then he might be regretting that now.

As for a nickname for Giorgi, I’ll be Captain Obvious and go for Marmalade. Maybe Marmaduke would be more appropriate. Isn’t there a cat character with that name? Goalies having cat-like reflexes being something of a cliche.

I like Dash!

Anyway, Kelleher. Tough to know what’s what. He did very well last season but we all expected him to move on to build his career as a first teamer. Subject to receiving the dough.

Which hasn’t happened so far.

So now it all feels a bit up in the air.

I think we’ve seen enough of Kelleher to know that he’ll never become a reliable #1 for us. Salute him for the job he’s done as the backup though.

2 Likes

Bournemouth have agreed a 5 million loan fee to help get the deal across.

https://x.com/generaldepie_/status/1823891131802747040?s=46

1 Like

If Liverpool wants to sign him, let me know. I will have a word with the Valencia Singaporean billionaire owner

2 Likes

Anyone seen what he is like, I have viewed some youtube posts and they show lots of theatrical saves.

I prefer to see goals he conceded to then see the flaws or how good he is with the ball at his feet, the one thing I did see from the compilations were that he parried most and rarely caught shots, but then this could be because compilations show the spectacular saves rather than the nuts and bolts of a players performance

Gio

1 Like

Agree on theatrics but from the stats in this thread he seems excellent! We have a year to see or sell on. Fee is not stupid given what we paid for Alli.

1 Like

Feels a bit harsh on Kelleher. If we think Ali is getting off in a couple of years, it seems fair that he would be next in line given how excellently he’s done when called upon.

2 Likes

As well as he has done, I’m not sure he is good enough and I feel like he has had his own injury problems too.

1 Like

The injury comment is a fair shout, but he played half a season for us last year and I don’t recall him making many mistakes.

1 Like

He made some good saves but he doesn’t project the same calm as Alisson. Though probably no one does

1 Like

Kelleher might be good enough, issue is Alisson might not leave in another year or two. At 25, Kelleher is at a stage where he is just too good to wait for another 2 years as a sub but yet not better than Alisson to displace him

If Alisson stays for another 2 years , that’s 2 years of Kelleher not playing regular football.

Kelleher became better and better the more football he played and increasingly looked more assured on the ball.

He did make very few mistakes that in hindsight even he wouldnt repeat.

https://x.com/AnfieldSector/status/1824344547264012673

oh and btw, are we still looking for a name, it has to be Vili… or as we would say Willy :wink:

Is it about fairness?

Or is it about making the best possible decision?

Kelleher is a very good goalie and he has done all that can be reasonably asked of him as an understudy to Alisson. When Kelleher played for a while last season, he looked more assured as he played more. It has to be very difficult for a goalie to have any sort of rhythm if they don’t play.

So full credit to that lad. Very good goalie.

Now here are the issues.

1. How good? Will he get to Alisson’s level, or thereabouts? Or have the recruitment team concluded he is just a bit short, and have identified someone in Mamardashvili who they think has a greater chance to get there?

2. Kelleher, his age and the need to play. At some point you have done all the learning, and you really need to play. Kelleher is at that point. I don’t see how he progresses sitting on our bench.

The strange part is he is clearly up for sale, as we put a price on his head, but there have been no takers. So will it be a loan? Or will he do another season on the bench at Liverpool, with League Cup action to look forward to?

1 Like

https://x.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1824445191912046798

1 Like