Giorgi Mamardashvili (GK) Valencia

They already bought his replacement - Stole Dimitrievski came to them from Rayo Vallecano after keeping 13 clean sheets in La Liga last season.

1 Like

What they really meant is hurry and close the deal so we can spend the money on another area in the pitch

4 Likes

Apparently this is gonna collapse

Wouldn’t that be illegal?

2 Likes

You have a point, slavery has been banished for some time.

If it happens, and there seems an odd doubt now, got to say it is a bit rough on Kelleher.In the run of games he had last season it seemed he was becoming more assured, as game time will bring, of course.
Imagine how he feels with all this going on, if we are going to bring on Marmalade or whatever,Kelleher should be allowed to go.

No wonder he’s happy to go on loan for two years, Valencia are woeful defensively. Going to end this game with 10+ saves, the one from Ferran was great.

2 Likes

There doesn’t have to be something fixed who and when we’ll replace Alisson with.

It could be next summer, it could not be in the next 3 years or whatever (Ali has 3 years left on his deal and will be 35). Unless there’s something with Ali that we don’t know, perhaps playing his final season?

There are no guarantees in football. Neither Kelleher nor Mamardashvili can’t expect that Liverpool tells them in 2024 that they’ll replace Alisson in exactly x years.

Generally, I like the idea. Reminds me a little bit when Chelsea got Courtois and even if Cech was still very competent at the time, Thibaut had a few high quality years at a high level and Chelsea got their timing spot on. Was a difficult decision for Mourinho at the time, but he took it and decided it’s time for the new guy emerging.

The whole goalkeeper department is something I really liked how we work. We can plan some things, but whenever the time comes for Alisson to be replaced, we’ll naturally look at what the best option is.

1 Like

From today’s BBC Gossip Column:

Georgia goalkeeper Giorgi Mamardashvili, 23, has his heart set on a move to Liverpool and current club Valencia will let him leave when they have lined up a replacement. (Football Espana)

1 Like

Don’t they already have a replacement ?

1 Like

Yeah! The pricks! If only Santi Cañizares weren’t so fixated on his silly rally cars.

1 Like

Chelsea had an unlimited amount to spend with Russian roubles. Slightly different to us when we have a strict budget.

Bad news as it seems Allison is on his way out in the next few seasons. Best goalkeeper in the world.

Just close it.

That is factually wrong. Abromavich was forced to sell the club in 2022 after he had his UK assets frozen due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Kelleher has shown that he is more than capable of playing week in/week out at Premier League level, and probably feels that he needs to move to get the game time. We need to be planning for the future, and at 23, this kids looks like he will be a phenominal talent, but he also has shown he is already ready for first team football, so bringing him in to sit on the bench and play the odd cup game isn’t going to do him any good. He needs to continue playing at a high level to continue his development

A goalkeeper comparable to Alisson does not come around often. If we feel this guy might be the one, then I am totally in favour of preparing in advance.

Kelleher had been fantastic for us but if Alisson were not here, would Kelleher be a suitable 1st choice keeper for us?

I’m not ruling it out (that Kelleher could make the step up), but such is Alisson’s quality I wouldn’t bet on it either.

2 Likes

How is it factually wrong? Past tense. Referring to when they bought Courtois.

Kelleher is not a league winning keeper.

My bad, I thought you were talking in current sense, not past - sorry

Hopefully the deal closes soon. He is highly rated, is already a first choice in a good team in a top league, and the succession planning seems shrewd.

I haven’t got a clue when Alisson will decide to leave. My best guess is 1-2 more years here, 1-2 in Saudi for the dough, and 1-2 back home in Brazil.

Kelleher is a good goalie who is at the stage where he probably needs a move to get on with his career.

The timing isn’t right for him to replace Alisson, and beyond that, we probably do not quite see him as that player either. We will get a decent fee for him at some point, and I suspect he will have a decent career, but Mamardashvili already seems more highly rated, has more first team experience, and is younger.

It’s the harsh world of football at the very top.

1 Like

To me, it isn’t necessarily about the whens but the what ifs.

If something were to happen to Alisson (crossing my fingers that nothing does), Kelleher could help us ride out the season. But beyond that, I don’t know how much further he can grow.

Finding (and I’m not talking about world-class) but someone in the coversation for world’s best keeper is extRemely hard. I think the scouting team have realized this difficulty and it is not necessarily a vote of no confidence against Kelleher or the talent that we have but an honest acceptance that putting all your eggs in one basket is not wise and some might be showing better signs of reaching those heights than others.

But also it would be negligent to not have multiple contingencies.

Going off the reports that we were looking to sign him and send him on loan to Bournemouth for 2 seasons, I think Allison leaving in summer of 2026 seems to be the current favorite

1 Like