Golf! What a great way to 'waste' 4 hours

Well, this day next week, we’ll be heading into the climax of the 2021 Ryder Cup.

We do appear to have a good mix of Yanks and Europeans here, but not many golf fans.

Think it will be a very close event this year, I have a sneaking suspicion it may end in a draw with Europe retaining.

2 Likes

You are likely correct.

I’ve been playing as a kid, try to get out for 5-10 rounds a year. Handicap floats around 12-16.

Don’t watch much for TV so following the PGA can be difficult for me. Fred Couples was my favorite.

Early lead for America, need to at least split the second four balls in the evening

This will be an easy win for America.

Not looking great for Europe, but the American’s seem to have made 3 or 4 times the number of putts the Europeans have made, surely that can’t continue, can it?

2 Likes

The problem for Europe is that they show up with players like Wiesberger and players who are way past their primes like Garcia and Poulter, the Americans are young and eager and have the home field advantage.

If only that part of the unsportsmanlike Americans would shut up … :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Look who is getting ready for the new season that starts in January … :+1:

Was idle today, so took to exploring this site a bit more. Who knew there was anything other than footy here? (Obviously not me).

Judging from the above posts, I may be the resident golf nerd around here. Started at ten. Played my first tournament at 12, and still play competitively some 50 years later. I’ve had much going on in life recently, and have not swung a club in earnest in over 3 months. Will be going to the club tomorrow, to begin knocking off rust. Will be relocating permanently to Hilton Head island within the next month or two, and plan to play daily until I’m tits up.

Yes it is time consuming, and takes much practice to get good at it, but it is the only sport that never remains constant in its play. That is likely why I have such a love affair with it.

4 Likes

I used to enjoy it a lot but found it awkward when work moved and no one in my circle played anymore. My local course also closed.

Sadly haven’t swung a club in 10+ years now. Shame.

was just out playing yesterday. I’m about a 15hcp, have been for 20 years. enjoy the game enough to keep playing it, but not enough to try and get into single digits. I play 3-5 rounds a year

getting the son into it though, he loves it.

1 Like

I do think I may take it up in the next year or so, I did seriously consider it and then Covid happened so maybe it’s one to revisit now my amateur football career has come to an end.

Well, an hour and 10 minutes hitting balls, and 20 minutes putting. The verdict? Lots more rust to knock off :joy: Putting wasn’t too bad.

Much better today. Ripped some 7 irons right down the rope, and with solid distance. Little inconsistent, but much better than yesterday. Started carrying drives over 250-260, which I wasn’t doing yesterday. Putting was better yesterday, but then, that’s golf!

Yards I presume? I’m impressed, the Dutch golf pro Joost Luiten who has won 6 tournaments on the European Tour is carrying his drives 290 yards. You must be a very low single handicapper.

At 62, I can still bang it out there pretty good, 300+ on a good day. Length has always been my thing.

When I was 19-22 I used to compete in long drive competitions. Never made the nationals, but won many other events. 361 was my longest ever in competition, and that was with old persimmon head wood, with a steel shaft, and old Pinnacle ball. Equipment these days is so much better, that’s why these guys hit it 320+ routinely.

I carry a 5 handicap now, but when I play with/against my pro buddies, they won’t give me any shots. Admittedly a bit of a sandbagger, but since I play so many handicap events these days, I need to stay competitive with the true sanbaggers that carry a 12, yet seem to break 80 routinely.

3 Likes

Let me know when you want to play a member-guest. Could use a good sandbagger to help out my pitiful game.

I would love to start playing again, but I’m not that keen on getting divorced.

Another activity where I disappear for hours on end will likely not go down too well.

1 Like

On top of your visitations with @PeachesEnRegalia and at the Caf that’s understandable.

2 Likes

We’re just friends!