Golf! What a great way to 'waste' 4 hours

will ferrell film GIF

1 Like

I thought this meant more.

So did I until you ran off with that @PeachesEnRegalia bloke. I had the chocolate digestives ready and all.

1 Like

I love chocolate digestives, meā€¦

Let me speak to Alice and see if she likes them too.

1 Like

This had be going for a second until I finished reading it allā€¦

ā€¦and then I was double annoyed!

Money talks and morals walkā€¦?

1 Like

Sport washing at its finest. Some big names chasing the money.

1 Like

I get that its ugly, and several high profile people have handled it awfully, but I donā€™t think its fair to put this on the players to regulate.It is not them playing in these tournament that will enable the Saudis to Sportswash, it is the way it is covered. The press can do that without being asked to forgo a guarantee of 10s of millions, so I dont get why the players are being expected to take the lead on this when they already make the money from a game that already takes significant amount of money from the Saudis and other authoritarian petrostates and play some of their biggest tournaments at clubs that only recently accepted members who were not white and male (and did so kicking and screaming).

I donā€™t think itā€™s right to demand professional athletes turn down this sort of opportunity when the rest of society is doing little to effect any sort. What are we going to do, demand these guys dont play, but then expect them to go and play in sanctioned European tour events held in other petrostates and cover those as regular respectable ways to make money?

2 Likes

Itā€™s the easy life for so many of them, big names but mostly all on the wane, some are odd such as Na who has remained competitive and Fowler who would assume has many years ahead but yeah they might be names but they arenā€™t particularly at the top of their game anymore. Some of the middling players are more suprising as they are often posting top 10s.

Doesnā€™t seem to have been picked up in any particular way.

Drop this post into a football chat and the conversations might be different?

Couple friends got in a round on Saturday.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I think there is a big difference with football though as there is the additional issue of competitive imbalance, and I think this rather than the immorality of accepting this specific source of money is what drives most of the concerns in football.

But I think that also speaks to the more general point that we collectively seem to have a really spotty set of expectations of who should take their money and who shouldnā€™t, and often those expectations seem to fall on the wrong people, IMO. I guess itā€™s just a lot easier to call Eddie Howe a greedy cunt than to take any socially meaningful action.

1 Like

12 of us playing today for a mateā€™s 50th, should be fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

Alway likes Westwood

Who invented this god awful game??? Not played properly for a few years (playing cricket whilst I still can). Fortunately we played Texas scramble and won thanks to the other 3 guys in our team being excellent players. Finished 4 under. One ONE shot of mine counted and that was a putt! Not a great day. Might have something to do with being pissed off the first tee :rofl:

is there a better way to play, I ask? I was still drunk from the previous night at the first tee. my brother had to drive to the course and I shot an 87.

1 Like

Opinion piece

Is it a case of hearts and minds - at least of those that matter?

Nice win for Fitzpatrick on the US open

1 Like