Golf! What a great way to 'waste' 4 hours

Yeah lovely win for the lad hope Zalatois wins one soon, my two favourites and don’t come across as tossers like some others

Really like Zalatoris too. One of the best pure ball strikers I’ve ever seen. Was driving home from Florida listening on the radio, and the announcer called him “a generational ball striker.” Could not agree more. He’s quickly made it into my top 3. Love to watch Shauffle, and Matsuyama as well.

Sweet 65 last day by Matsuyama for a top 5.

Yeah, I love his swing. The focus on Tiger’s physical development through his 20s and the brute strength of Dechambeau have shined a light on the reality that pure strength is not this inhibiting factor that can get in the way and in fact can be a big advantage in golf, but I love the way he’s just a spindly kid who uses his levers well to crush the ball

Freddy Couples…all day long. Long have I worked on the fluidity of a solid swing, in vain.

Freddie had/has a gorgeous swing, but the dynamics have changed. Couples used length of arc to increase his club head speed, where, nowadays, strength and rotation speed have shown to be the great “lengtheners.”

I injured my thumb a couple years back, and was unable to play for a couple months. I found a guy on YouTube who resonated with me, and started watching all his videos. When I got back, I started to use his lessons adapted to my swing. It took a good 3+ months to get comfortable with the swing change, but has been incredible! The guy is George Gankas, and he is the guy who coached/taught Matthew Wolfe.

His style is a bit different, but he, as an ex wrestler, incorporates the use of leverage, and rotation of large muscles, as well as shallowing the swing path, to increase club head speed, and to “trap” the ball, and hit it more cleanly and consistently.

I am hitting irons almost as far as I did when I was in my early 20’s. It’s fun!

2 Likes

Amazingly frustrating performance from Rory today. He will be very happy with the way he played but just couldnt buy a putt. Going into 18 it felt he had more of a chance of holing out with his driver then driving the green and making the eagle putt.

He’s a United fan so he should be used to not being able to buy success
Just watch the sudden volte face as regards LIV.

2 Likes

Behave. He is a decent, humble guy who tries do the best for the sport.

Shame for him today v

1 Like

Headlines all about the anti LIV poster boy dude Rory.

Maybe should be some credit to an incredible performance from our Aussie lad Smith. 5 birds on the back 9 on Day 4 of not just any major but St Andrew’s is up there with the legendary moments. Wonderful stuff.

3 Likes

Not to be a pisser, but Smith holed 6 birdies for an inward 9 score of 30. Tied a final round record at St Andrews.

He had played so well Friday, and couldn’t make anything Saturday. Told the wife, “Way this kid can roll it, if he gets hot, could shoot 63,” when he was teeing off. Missed by 1.

Quite the performance, deserved winner. By all accounts a very humble, and well liked lad. Classic reply that he was gonna see how many beers the Claret Jug held.

Sat a couple tables away from him, and his large (8 or 9) family in Hilton Head during the Heritage 3 years back. Everyone very jovial and friendly. Been a fan ever since.

3 Likes

The interesting thing is that he is supposed to be a very good putter. There was a point in the front 9, while he was still a couple back where the US commentary made the point that if the final round was going to be won based on which guy can make their putts, then they’d put their money on Smith. He definitely won it and didnt need anyone to give it him, but there is also a lot of mileage in covering how Rory failed to win it. His popularity, his status, his major drought…all coupled with how well he played tee to green on the final day while leading for most of it. That is newsworthy as well.

1 Like

No question there were tons of stories surrounding Rory and the Open. He was the betting line favorite, and it looked as good a time as any for his major drought to end. Now, there may start to be rumblings about his inability to finish in the majors.

Rory’s talent is undeniable. The most talented all around golfer in the world, imo, but we’re nearing decade of major almosts.

When he was younger, he could just get going, and steamroll everyone. I watched in awe as he fired a final round 62, right down the street from me, at Quail Hollow CC 12 years ago, and stormed through the field to win the Wachovia going away. He was untouchable. When he got it going like that, it was just incredible to watch.

Unfortunately, I think he thinks about it too much now, during the majors, and can’t find that walking on air invincibility he had when he was a younger lad. I don’t doubt that he will win another major, he’s just too talented. I think that once he breaks through, again, he may win a few more in short time.

I can’t see why he would suddenly want to sign up to LIV, no need for him to do so and the LIV guys are suddenly crapping themselves because they aren’t getting the tour points and will have to fly to Asian to get tour points.

So much for spending more time with their families, as for McIlroy and the betting markets it’s like any favourite or big name, enough would have tipped Woods or Mickleson thus throwing away their money.

1 Like

Stenson is out as Ryder Cup captain after it emerged he was going to sign with the LIV tour. There is still 12 months to find some sort of balance, but as of now it looks like next year’s event is going to be a mess.

1 Like

I’d sign for LIV as well.

Loving this long overdue PGA panic.

I agree with Woods.

But besides that, for the most part, I only watch the European tour so I’m used not seeing the best golfers in their prime and I’m fine with that.

1 Like

It’s easy for woods to be focused only on prestige when he’s already paid millions just for walking on the course with no requirement to win. I agree with him, I just dont think he’s a particularly credible messenger.

1 Like

I agree, I don’t watch golf but it’s easy for people who has alot to tell people that they should not hanker after things. Sports men can be motivated by many things money, fame, achievement blah blah… Many of us change careers for more money too, why can’t sports people? I agree that it’s obscene amount of money but if it’s on offer, why can’t they accept it?

Again I don’t watch golf but I do know Norman is himself a legend in golf and he is heading this Liv… And PGA cannot live with competition?