Guitars, Guitars and more toys that go with Guitars

Im still trying to work out how this has happened? @Walshy07 - did you mess with those two large flathead screws keeping the bridge saddle in place?

nope. i took old strings off. put new ones one and the bridge was about inch too high. took them off and put 9s back on and now i have this issue.

I wonder if the strings weren’t sitting right in the back of the guitar?

Otherwise, really weird. It suggests big neck movements under string tension which is bizarre.

So…problem solved.
Remember that guitar shop I have around the corner who are utterly useless and I had to open up a paypal complaint against a few months ago…well I thought fuck it ill take it there. They cannot fuck it up more than me.

Guy took it off me, said wait a few mins…and sorted it.
Said the trustrod needed a tweak and the bridge raising a bit. All sorted. The cost? Nothing.
Phew!

1 Like

Nice!

See, I did mention the truss rod and the bridge :blush:

1 Like

Interesting stuff. Anyone with £90k spare? You could go for new £4.3k version I guess
Surely that guitar is begging to be customised with at least a 5 way switch.

Personally I don’t get the deal with vintage guitars. You can get custom (USA/UK/Holland/Germany/Poland) made guitars at a fraction of what these vintages cost. You can have your exact options and they sound absolutely beautiful and play superbly.

Other than collectors items, why would you pay that kind of money for a guitar? It’s certainly not worth the playability.

Provenance for sure. Greeny for example, should be worth a lot of money purely because of who has owned it, the back story and the songs played by it. And that is fine by me, and actually more “sensible” than, say a painting for example. Others, such as art aficionado’s would clearly disagree on that. I remain to be convinced.

There is also the ageing wood angle. Does that make a guitar worth £90k? No, not in my opinion. It’s difficult enough to get your head around the cost of a brand new top of the line Fender custom some of the time until you look at the labour needed to make one.

Because I spend more time watching how other people test play such guitars than learn to play myself, I think I can even identify some of those you had in mind - please indulge me: Music Man, Dunable, Carvin and Kiesel from USA, Aristides from Holland, Duesenberg and Framus from Germany, Mayones and Skervesen from Poland? That said, I fail to think of anyone from UK at this moment when it comes to guitars, sorry…

Dunable is probably not your cup of tea as you’re a modern shredder with a defined style but I love their brutalist, monolithic approach with a touch of steampunk. Their takes on RD and V shapes (I think they’re named R2 and Asteroid respectively) are awe-inspiring. Genuinely, if there weren’t any issues with shipping, taxes, custom services, I’d buy one of each. That said, their prices have also risen significantly since the last time I checked…

Oh, and by the way, you’ve all inspired me to fiddle around with the truss rod on my Schecter because I haven’t touched it for almost three months until today and it turned out it had a ton of fret buzz between the third and the fifth frets (it was near the window and a radiator, so the frequent change in temperature probably did something to bend the neck). It sounds great now. Should any of you lads ever require my professional setup services, just give me a buzz, it’s free for y’ all! :joy:

1 Like

Also Jackson, Dean, PRS, Washburn USA custom shops, in England the only one I really liked is Blackmachine but he stopped making them. You got the other ones right

1 Like

I did not dare mention him - what Guthrie Govan is to playing, Paul Reed Smith is to guitar building.

I’ve never liked their designs. I’m sure they play great, but not for me

Who’s working on what bit of music right now?

Not me… But I’m listening to more music and I’ve discovered more new bands that I like than in the past year or two. I still don’t have the time to start learning Electric Eye by Judas Priest but that’s my next mission.

What are you working on these days?

Almost got the solo down on This Sacrament by Nevermore (LOVE Jeff Loomis)

Barely catching up on Throne of the Anxious by Steven Taranto

Working through Hypersonic by Liquid Tension Experiment

My man, my man! Forgive me for sticking just to this one but he’ll always be my no. 1 guitar player of all time but my heart breaks watching him play in an average band like Arch Enemy (all the members are fantastic at their instruments and already play in awesome bands but they just don’t fit there, at least not for me). Almost twenty years since I first heard Nevermore and The Politics of Ecstasy in particular, by the way…

1 Like

I knowww he deserves better. What a talent!! His riff and solo writing are just so tasteful! I can’t get enough of his Nevermore stuff. Stands up against any band that came after. Criminally underrated!

Talk about a band that was out of place and out of time… I also genuinely don’t know another band where I rate every member as one of the very best among those I’ve heard and certainly the most rounded/complete on their respective instruments, not to mention everyone sounding perfect as a unit. Warrel was, for me, the best vocalist in metal music, and Jeff is one of those players that put me off ever touching a guitar again, haha! No one ever spoke about how Jim and Van were amazing on their instruments, unfortunately, but they could also play literally everything.

Funny thing is that they always had an amazing second guitar player and I’m pretty bummed that they didn’t get Chris Broderick to become their permanent member. A friend who loves In Flames once told me: “Check this concert out, there’s a new guitar player in In Flames who plays their songs better than Björn!” I open the video and there’s Chris, shredding their solos while barely breaking a sweat… I wish these guys could collaborate more often.

The most underrated band in metal ever: Nevermore. They deserved top billing