Harvey ELLIOTT: 2021/22

Excellent performance. Going to be a special special player here. Confident and mature lad.

2 Likes

David Silva vibes from his performance today, really didnā€™t think heā€™d be used in an 8 position so soon into his career, unlike @ISMF1 :wink:

The way he links up with those around him is just outstanding.

8 Likes

Very impressed with Harvey at Burnley. After the first few tackles and some rough housing he seemed to play conservatively for about 10 mins and his positioning changed to slightly deeper and I was worried that he was fading and thought at half time he may be the first to replaced (notwithstanding his excellent assist had Mo stayed onside). However he really showed he has the toughness and super impressed with how he played the second half, excellent movement and link up - something thats really still missing from Keita for some reason (I wonder if Keita just doesnt communicate as he doesnā€™t seem on same wavelength as the others?) - and lasting the full 90 mins really shows that, touch wood, he can go on and play an important role for us this season and really could be a super special player.

1 Like

Excellent performance by Harvey today. I know some people wonā€™t care for the comparison, but the way that the commentator in the game presented him to the audience, put me in mind of David Beckham. ā€œHe was out on loan at Blackburn and now here he is in the Premier League.ā€ Like Beckham went to Preston and then straight into Man Uā€™s first team.

Today certainly proved Klopp right when he said that having Harvey back at Anfield is like having a new signing. I think weā€™ll see quite a lot of him this season.

8 Likes

:woozy_face:

Hmm if he gets the free kicks sortedā€¦ Perhaps heā€™d be like a better Beckham with much more pace, quality control and an ability to run at players. He may have the hairstyles thing down but I hope (for his sake) he gets a nice missus.

He reminds me more of an Iniesta.

4 Likes

Yes, I thought that would be misunderstood. I donā€™t mean that heā€™s the same kind of player, but that I think he will have the same kind of impact.

2 Likes

Considering how much bigger the occasion ended up being than just Burnley at Anfield, there was a lot of emotion and expectation in the build up.

I think he did really well in that atmosphere. Not everything was perfect, but it never is when youā€™re paying more attention to an individual performance as I guess most of us were. But he didnā€™t look out of his depth, contributed in some key chances and never stopped trying when he did make mistakes.

I donā€™t worry if we need to call on him in big games on a European night, where some can be overwhelmed. He looks more like he would relish it.

2 Likes

Anyone else waiting for the post-match thread to open so they can give him one of their motm votes?

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

6 Likes

Isnā€™t that your job?

I did it once and and @Mascot told me off for not doing it properly :rofl:

4 Likes

There are a few moments where his age showed (he took too much time on the ball once and Burnley players robbed him off it in front of his box and he was too hasty to release the wrong player in the second half, preventing what might have been a good counter) but Iā€™m pleased overall.

Aside from his passing, what stood out for me is that he wasnā€™t afraid to track back. Burnley probably thought ā€œoh, great, Trent is there, weā€™ll target him again, it worked four years ago when he was Elliottā€™s age, Salah is there, he doesnā€™t defend, they wonā€™t have much help from a teenagerā€, so they relentlessly attacked that flank for most of the game.

Klopp will likely take the patient approach with Elliott, his hand was forced by all the absences in midfield. With him and Henderson, though, the midfield looked miles better than the one that started at Norwich. Much more dynamic, ā€œusefulā€ movement and control, in both directions. I think heā€™s found him a proper long-term role even if I wanted him to be a right-sided playmaker or something similar. Nice to have a left footer there, too, for the sake of balance.

4 Likes

I thought it was especially noteworthy that even Burnley accepted their role in this and seemed to target him for special treatment to see how heā€™d react. And to that he had that Ronaldo vibe about him where his response to getting wacked was to just get up and ask for the ball again. Loved everything about it.

12 Likes

Thiago and Jones were available and he still chooses Elliott, just saying.

3 Likes

True but Alcantara had a long summer with Spanish national team, came back injured, while Jones also had an injury in one of the final games of the pre-season. It also looks like Alcantara and Keita will be sharing the left central role, while Henderson, Elliott and AOC will be sharing the right central role (when Fabinho is fit and on form). I canā€™t quite tell where it leaves Jones, he played both of those roles last season well, in my opinion.

1 Like

Think the Ox needs to be afraidā€¦ Very afraidā€¦!

1 Like

The lad done good.

Iā€™d go as far as to say that he was man of the match todayā€¦ except that he spent ninety minutes running around a field whereas I have spent several decades trying to make sense of women.

3 Likes

The difference in that Harvey starts over Jones is that ā€˜he sees the passā€™ and plays it, Jones for me has better feet but his passing in the final 3rd is lacking compared to Harvey

We have no idea what this kid has in his locker yetā€¦
With what he has shown already, he deserves his place in the squad

1 Like

Itā€™s not Elliott versus Jones, theyā€™ve both got great futures here as club/semi-club developed, fanatically loyal, super stars and possible future ever presents. Just like it wasnā€™t Xavi versus Iniesta!

8 Likes

No one says that, but they are vying for the same positions at AM and comparisons will be made. Jones for me needs to improve his final pass. Competition is great for the team.