Harvey ELLIOTT: 2021/22

I’m not entirely sure about that, it seems almost like Jones is being eased towards a more box-to-box role?

3 Likes

Yes, the little brilliant little true passes (is this how you call them in English?) to Salah’s goal are phenomenal and I’ve seen him do that more than once today. In fact, I think he is a better midfielder than a winger.

Although I like jones I don’t think he has that in him.

Yes and we play with two no,8s loads of room for them both.

1 Like

Why can’t we just praise Elliott without needing to criticise Jones? Pointless.

12 Likes

There has been lots of talk about the squad aging together but we really already have a core of the next generation coming through.

Elliott, Jones, Kelleher, TAA, Konate are 22 or younger.

Brilliant to see.

To many times we have seen in the past those kids with great potential mismanaged and not making the next step. It’s one of Klopps greatest strengths that we now expect several youngsters to transition into the first team.

4 Likes

Think the ones you listed are there. Kelleher hasn’t done much wrong, he’s been a class 2nd choice Keeper so far, you could say better than some of our first choices in not too distant past. Seems happy enough to be second choice too so could be here for some time. Jones seemed a fully integrated part of our CM by the end of last season and it looks like Klopp and Elliott have decided that if Harvey is good enough he’s old enough. Obviously Trent is our first choice RB and Konate will play loads at CB.

You have a good point in that in 5 years we could field a starting 11 including Kelleher, Trent, Konate, Rhys Williams, Tsimikas, Gomez (at DM), Jones, Elliott, Gordon, Jota and Salah (at CF) and only Salah would be older than 30 in that line up.

There is no criticism from me, it is an area I feel Curtis has to improve in and what I actually thought he had at youth level.

4 Likes

The lad has gone under the radar a bit with the pundits then again they seemed to have forgotten our defence was made up of 4th and 5th choices last season.

1 Like

Gomez will be annoyed with this, he’s only a year older than Alexander-Arnold!

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t understand that. I’m very excited about both coming though, and there’s more than enough space for the both of them and others to make it into our team.

2 Likes

Looked like an 18 yr old at times with a couple final balls/decisions, but great full debut from him. Got the Burnley treatment and bounced right back up. Didn’t hide from the ball or just look to shuffle it to Salah.

Promising showing. All told, great to get him minutes, but probably don’t want to see him start too many this year. He’ll probably get the last 10 or 20 minutes when he plays this year, but that game should boost his confidence that he belongs at this level.

2 Likes

It’s what we do! :crazy_face:

1 Like

It shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that he wasn’t cowed by Burnley’s bully “tactics” considering how well he performed in the Championship last season. I’m yet to see the boy cowed by anything, to be honest.

1 Like

To be fair, if he’s as much of a fan as he seems to be, he would remember Henderson’s staredown of Costa. He knows he’s well-protected here.

3 Likes

Haha, yes, we’ll win all the staring contests.

Milner, perhaps!!!

3 Likes

Slap 'um Millie. :wink:

1 Like

To quote an imperialist, “I like a man who grins when he fights…”, and it’s for that reason Robbo is my favourite in a stare down.

Gomez was pretty cool staring down Sterling, but there again, I’m not sure Sterling is intimidating anybody.

I would have liked to see him shoot more often, he got into some great positions… maybe he has been encouraged not to however