I’ll have a bitter please...It’s the Everton thread

Two of the easiest three matches in the league and they lost one of them.

New Manager Incoming :0) - Dyche will be looking over his shoulder now - Unless of course, Gerard secures his services

Wayne Rooney and D.C. United agree to part ways as Manchester United legend leaves club after just season-and-a-half

Story by Ryan Tolmich •1h

WHAT HAPPENED? The two sides announced that they’d come to a mutual decision on Saturday following the club’s final game of the MLS season. D.C. United topped NYCFC 2-0 in what ended up being Rooney’s final match, but it wasn’t enough to keep him at the club as D.C. missed the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season

THE BIGGER PICTURE: Rooney took over the club in July 2022 after previously playing for D.C. United from 2018-19. In Rooney’s first and only full season with the club, D.C. earned 13 more points than they did the season prior, finishing with 40 points in total.

WHAT THEY SAID?: “We have spoken with Wayne and agreed it is best for us to part ways at this time. This decision creates the avenue for our next General Manager to have the full opportunity to impart a new philosophy and structure onto our sporting operations, which begins with the critical identification of a Head Coach who will best align with this,” said Jason Levien CEO and Co-Chairman of D.C. United. “We are grateful to Wayne Rooney for all he has done for our club and for soccer in the Nation’s Capital, first as a D.C. United player and captain and most recently as our coach. He remains an important part of the D.C. United family and a valued and cherished friend.”

WHAT NEXT FOR ROONEY? “It’s the right time,” Rooney said, according to the Athletic. “I’ve done everything I can to get this club into the playoffs. It’s not a single thing that’s happened. It’s about timing.”

“What lies ahead, I don’t know. I’ve seen a lot of reports in the media. I’m going back with nothing lined up.”

Don’t Man Utd need a new manager as well :joy:

https://twitter.com/Everton/status/1712529230448271619?t=o9KK4VW47jnXO1IZdCGcXw&s=19

4 Likes

One player who I do think is decent for them is Branthwaite.

2 Likes

Find it funny Dych yhinks the var decisions etc were baffling and the reason why they got beat.

Go on kidding yourself Sean, that way you’ll end up in the championship.

Penn Badgley You Netflix GIF by YOU

1 Like

Well I assume VAR couldn’t intervene to give Konate a yellow on that foul.

Because the handball was a penalty and Young was rightly booked twice for two yellow card challenges.

No one is going review those Young challenges and say they aren’t yellows.

Wasn’t anything wrong with VAR yesterday to be fair, if he has a criticism then it’s Konate’s challenge that’s nothing to do with VAR.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve liked Branthwaite for a long time, think he should have been in their first team for the past two seasons. He’s such an enormous improvement on Keane that its almost comical its taken this long (and an excellent loan spell at PSV) for any manager to have the bottle to play him regularly.

2 Likes

It will be a matter of time before a bigger club comes in for branthwaite.

It won’t be us though. I think he’s got good potential.

1 Like

I can see him going to a top 10 side in the future, watched Everton far too much this season and he has been the only decent thing I’ve seen bar Beto against Doncaster which he hasn’t shown since (Quelle surprise).

Thought Beto would be a concern and he seemed to be getting the better of Konate but he was just so ineffectual against Matip.

I believe they could of done something with the second yellow if it leads to a red, nevertheless a definite yellow.

I’m not sure they can to be honest.

Though I might be wrong, They can go the other way a yellow to red so perhaps.

Anyhow no way of arguing as you say that they weren’t yellows.

I think I mentioned it in the post match thread, that Ibou wanted to out muscle Beto. But Joel just out footballed him.

4 Likes

I believe that they can only intervene to upgrade a yellow to red or downgrade a red to a yellow. They can’t make a ref give a yellow though. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Yeah I know they can’t make the ref give a yellow, but I thought they could rescind a yellow if it led to a red, assuming the yellow was unwarranted (clear and obvious error). Not sure anymore though.

Clear and obvious error I think is the term used by the PGMOL.

No one is reviewing decisions by VAR though. Perhaps they should be?

Nope they can’t.

1 Like

I’m really frustrated by this lot because they rarely put in this much effort against other top sides. In fact, the one time they gave such a good fight to our direct rivals, it took a ridiculously bad decision from the referee to rob them of a clear penalty (and potentially rob us of the title). I’m not looking forward to our trip to Goodison but we have to play plenty of other clubs until then.

I think that Onana is going to be a huge player for any side that will utilise a defensively minded midfielder. He strikes me as the type of signing Ferguson would have made back in the day, I’ll be surprised if Man United don’t come in for him in the future (as a long term replacement for Casemiro).

Yeah I felt he was there other really decent player.

Joel was excellent when he came on and for me was unlucky not to start as his form of late has been top notch.

People go on about our so-called defensive frailties, when it is more down to our style of play than not being able to defend, we have sen how capable we are when we have 9 & 10 men.

1 Like