I’ll have a bitter please...It’s the Everton thread

I assume he couldn’t reach it

4 Likes

This could be the description for several goals he has conceded this season.

3 Likes

They are at risk of administration now.

I really think there is a hugely compelling argument that the Premier League need to absolutely throw the book at them. They are clearly not taking PSR seriously, and having got themselves into a mess, they have continued to spend money they don’t have.

For some reason the Everton fans want to rant about corruption and the cartel and big six protectionism and all that. I’m fairly certain that if I were an Everton fan I would be more concerned with how recklessly my club has been run for years.

5 Likes

Yup, I follow one on Twitter/X who to be fair calls out all these people saying it’s one big vendetta.

1 Like

I agree. They should be thrown the book so that the likes of Man City don’t get away.

I do feel sorry for them slightly though. They and other clubs on that level have been forced to spend money that don’t have because the likes of City , Chelsea and United before them have increased their spends to unrealistic money. Everton in that sense is a small club (despite the history and their standing in the English football). They don’t have the overseas fan following / brand visibility that we have.

Liverpool , Arsenal & Tottenham have always had the traditional fanbase (across the world) and hence the sponsorship etc to combat that. But the other English clubs don’t.

At this point , due to the unregulated spending of the oil clubs , the other clubs are in danger. Even ones like Aston Villa. They don’t have the kind of money to continue spending to remain competitive.

Unless the EPL throw the book at City and Chelsea , we will see more clubs implode at the continued spending that is required to be mid table. Let alone be at UCL contention.

1 Like

It’s another thing entirely that Everton have been crap at their transfers.

And lest we forget.

Im still sure that was Woodward if it ever existed.

1 Like

It’s not just being crap at transfers. It’s that they have continued to sink money into the playing squad with no strategy, no clear plan, even after they knew they were sinking into PSR compliance difficulty.

Ultimately the biggest threat to Everton Football Club is Everton Football Club.

2 Likes

That argument would be valid if there weren’t already a handful of club competing perfectly well in the PL without risking their existence. If Brighton, Bournemouth and Brentford (all of whom I suspect are significantly less naturally resourced that Everton) can do it, there is no reason others can’t.

2 Likes

Trimming the fat is not always healthy. Injecting the fat isn’t however!

Ultimately this is about protecting the brand. Everton are easy pickings and the danger is the, « Look, we’ve dealt with Everton fairly, believe us when we say ManCity and Chelsea are fine « by the authorities…

This idea that the Premier League are going to go soft on City really doesn’t stack up.

If the Premier League were not up for a fight with Man City, they would not have charged them.

That’s not to say City won’t get off - they are as slippery as fuck - but it won’t be because the PL haven’t tried. I think the biggest threat to the City case is the Government getting involved.

Regarding Everton they need to be punished heavily because they are a textbook case of a club haemorrhaging money through nothing more than appalling financial stewardship. They need to be stopped for their own sake, and as a deterrent to other clubs thinking they can run up dizzying debt chasing theoretical success. It has nothing to do with City.

I’m sure I read that their wages to turnover was currently running at 92%? That isn’t just bad - it’s existential.

1 Like

What they don’t really seem to be taking on board right now is just how dodgy 777 really are - you don’t get compliance orders from financial regulators handed down in multiple jurisdictions because there is a conspiracy against Everton Football Club. The Club is being run fast toward a wall, and while Moshiri might genuinely be upset if that happens (not least because about a billion pounds have evaporated), but you can be damn sure the 777 partners won’t give it a second thought.

1 Like

Everything I’ve read about them really suggests they are the worst owners a club could wish for.

It’s really, really bleak for them.

1 Like

Can’t be worse than the owners they do have.

The question is for how long. Leicester not so long back were a poster child of how to run a club correctly. Now they are in the shit and have had to let a lot of players go post relegation.

Can the likes of Brentford and Bournemouth still remain sustainable after heavy investment (for a more sustained period as how Everton did) and then be not in the shit when they do get relegated ? The clubs might be fine now , but unless the level of spending by the oil cunt clubs isn’t regulated , no such club is beyond financial crisis.

Everton spent money over a larger period of time than these other clubs. The debts do tend to add up year upon year

I think they can. Moshiri is flawed, but he was less flawed when he had money. The new owners 777 don’t have that kind of money to burn. They have access to piles of capital right now, but they are facing more and more restrictions as financial industry regulators question the wisdom of insurance companies tying up huge amounts of capital in re-insurance that in turn is making investments in football. Moshiri put about a billion in over 7 years, including to build a nice stadium with a dubious business case - and seemingly had no clear expectation of taking that capital back out. The 777 Partnership may well be facing legal demands to take that capital back out in a matter of a year or two.

1 Like

And as far as clubs like Aston Villa , West Ham etc are concerned. They need to continue spending to get success. How long is that feasible when the prices for footballers gets jacked up due to the oil cunts jacking up the prices for all ? And that includes Man Utd btw.

These clubs seem to be well run now , but for how long ?

I don’t if they were ever the poster child for sensible stewardship. They had a lightning in a bottle moment for the league they won, but they ultimately took their eye off the ball with recruitment and it hit them. They always, even at their height had an abysmal dressing room culture.

A well run club does not sack the manager who won the league and replace him with Craig Shakespeare. Some of the names on the manager list are appalling.

They really should not have been relegated, and indeed had FFP been properly implemented they might not have.

Usmanov’s money. Moshiri’s just his accountant. Again brings back to the fit person rule. How have his finances been evaluated to see if he was a capable owner ?

1 Like