I’ll have a bitter please...It’s the Everton thread

Lolz at 1:10. :joy:The definition of world class is slipping these days isn’t it

1 Like

0:56 is better - he just boots it out of play.

Jose isn’t wrong to be honest, Everton had far too much space the pressing was non-existant.

3 Likes

They looked decent yesterday - especially their new signings. Always liked Allan, think he did well yesterday. Dacoure is decent too.

There is no doubt that the Ev will be much better this season than they have been the last 10 or so. But it’s certainly not likely to be enough to pull tree’s down. Can see them going on a run in the cups, and challenging the likes of Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal this season.

I actually don’t mind seeing them do well - my dislike for them is not as high as it is for United, Man City or Chelsea.

6 Likes

Ditto. I’m old enough to remember when the Merseyside Derby was The Friendly Derby, before Sky whipped everyone up into a frenzy of hatred and malice.

I’d still rather the Ev finished second than anybody else currently in the Premier League.

10 Likes

I think you probably have to put some blame on Everton as a team as well as there came a point where a once well contested game turned into one in which side believed their only way to compete was to kick the shit out of anything in red. I could be wrong, but I recall that starting around Royle’s time in the late 90s.

2 Likes

Well, they certainly got off to a good start. But that was against a shit Tottenham. I can’t see them finishing any higher than sixth though.

1 Like

I believe the hatred started when the English teams were banned for 5 years in Europe as a result of Heysel and they were frustrated about not being able to take part when they were at their peak by winning the league that was confirmed to me by a couple of colleagues a few years ago in work who were Everton supporters.

2 Likes

Sure, there is definitely a feeling among some from that generation that we robbed them of a European Cup (which even if we were at fault for the ban, is absurdly presumptuous), but the nastiness on the pitch didn’t start to show up for maybe 10 years after that.

2 Likes

They should look on the positive side. It’s a delightful cuckoo clock.

2 Likes

I know two Evertonians who hate Liverpool because if not for us they would have become the dominant team in Europe for “at least 10 years”.

3 Likes

Heysel is many blues favourite talking point.

Can’t blame sky for that and I don’t think the blues need anybody to whip them up into a frenzy, they have it covered all on their own. I’d happily see them relegated.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place but remember Neville Southall? He seemed like a tragic/comic Obelix figure at the end but fascinating to read this:

5 Likes

Good article. Don’t see too many sportspeople so deeply embroiled in social issues.

1 Like

The nastiness off the pitch didn’t show up until the mid to late 90’s either. It seems to be the next generation of bitters that have used Heysel as a stick to beat us with and an excuse to cover their constant failure as a football club. Most of them know as much about what happened at Heysel as I do about Astrophysics.
I long for the day these turds get relegated and don’t come back.

1 Like

Good response Neville.
Nothing wrong with sticking to your beliefs.

7 Likes

How come they are playing Salford City this evening. Is this a rehashed League Cup that now includes non league sides?

Southall’s shown himself to be a really good guy, much respect for him and more power to him.

7 Likes

Yeah this is the Carbao Cup, which is the league cup. Salford got another interesting draw the other week in the EFL cup, coming up against Utd, and I believe that is the weird hybrid U21(23?) reserve/lower league trophy.

1 Like

Salford are in League Two now.

2 Likes

Watched highlights from last night, Anthony Gordon looks like a nice talent.