Ismaïla Sarr (RW/LW) Watford

Like any negotiating tactic, if you want say £24m for said player, and the purchasing club will want to pay more like £16m, then you start high and hope there’s a meeting in the middle.

Gini would have been probably used to get to VVD. People tend to forget that the two are very good mates.

2 Likes

And this could just as easily be a smokescreen for our real target. Who it possibly is, I’ve no clue.

They probably want a similar deal to Richarlison to Everton a few years back.

Some of the comments here are similar to those when we signed another lad from Senegal. Under Klopp I think Sarr has the potential to get to Mané’s level.

He single-handedly destroyed us in that game last season. He’s still young and inconsistent but raw attributes are there- speed, strength, work rate, eye for goal. I’d def pay £40m for him and let Klopp work his magic!

2 Likes

Mane was at a far far higher level when we bought him. If we buy Sarr I’ll hope he at least gets to the level Mane was at when we bought him but let’s not put too much on him yet. That game against us could well have been like Shaqiris game against Barca, great and not a fluke or anything but all elements coming together for one perfect performance.

5 Likes

One thing about Sarr that keeps coming to mind is what if he is like Jamaal Lewis? The guy we have an interest in, is on our list, could be the guy we end up signing even, but the one we are happy to be spouted all over the media whilst we keep our main target quieter.

2 Likes

Exactly @AnfieldRdDreamer. Spot on.

Shaqiri was probably our weakest performer against Barcelona, Sarr was the best player on the pitch against us. I don’t see the correlation at all.

I don’t get the ‘fluke’ argument, it was a clear demonstration of his ability and very few other players have ‘fluked’ it like that against us in recent years (Pulisic, Zaha, Hazard, De Bruyne, Bernardo come to mind). He was very dangerous at Anfield too which seems to be forgotten.

He has a lot of potential. The same potential as Mane? Probably not, very few do, but a lot of potential nonetheless. That combination of speed and power is pretty rare.

2 Likes

Specifically said it wasn’t a fluke;

:grinning:

Oops.

I’ll read more carefully in the future.

4 Likes

It’s ok blame it on the new forum format haha

For context he played 28 league games, starting 22 of them. Except that one game against us he had 3 goals and 5 assists in the other games it’s not ground breaking. Those two goals and assist in the game against us was way out in front as an outlier in regards performance. Like Origi against Dortmund in Klopps first year or Gini as a goal threat in that Barca game. He has potential but that one game may give a false impression of just how much potential. The rest of his season is a lot more bland.

Yeah, not really bothered about that stuff, I don’t think it’s too interesting. He was playing wide right for a crap team that had 4 different managers in a season.

When I watched him his potential was evident, whether against us or against others. He’s young and still raw but his ‘goal contributions’ are still solid enough throughout his career with obvious room for improvement. I’ve seen him make enough good runs off the ball and put in enough decent crosses from out wide to think he can put up good numbers in the future.

2 Likes

Watford will know better especially after being burnt on the Jamal Lewis transfer when they tried to play hardball with the price… only to then sell the player to Newcastle at a much lower price.

1 Like

That was Norwich wasn’t it?

4 Likes

First match I saw him play I was impressed and felt he would be at a top six club soon. Compare him to Traore two years ago. Already less selfish with the ball. More poise. If he’s durable will be a great player. Please bring him here.

3 Likes

Oh yeah sorry me bad

We’ve made it known we’re in for Jota now aswell.

Tsimikas and Jamal
Sarr and Jota
Smokes and Mirrors

:blush:

I swear I’m not ITK!

4 Likes