Country of Birth: England
Nationality: English

2 Likes

15 games
1005 mins
One goal and two assists

1 Like

Faster than Rhys Williams.

Good lad. Should get some minutes with the hectic schedule coming up.

1 Like

1 goal and 3 assists in 16 games. :slight_smile:

Funny because last night, just as I was thinking did he even play a long diagonal pass towards the left that didn’t go out of play, in the games he’s played RCB for us, he completes a similar assist (even if it was a bit shit defending).

2 Likes

He’s been a revelation. Best defender on the pitch yesterday. Athletic, composed, calm with really good technique for someone of his stature, he’s everything you’d want to see in a young defender. He still makes the odd mistake here and there but that’s mostly inexperience.

He’s got a really high ceiling and he seems to be part of an exciting crop of youth coming through.

4 Likes

I thought VVD better but VVD is VVD, best praise you can give is he doesn’t look out of place and doesn’t concern you.

He is certainly one of our CB’s now.

3 Likes

Looking good so far,seems pretty calm,makes the odd mistake,of course he would…he is a kid,he can only improve as he spends some time with VVD.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1750522248082202849

4 Likes

Are you sure it’s not 4 assists the most for any CB in the premier league, this was mentioned last night .

There was one piece of defending he did that was absolutely fantastic. They worked the ball in behind our LB and Quansah found himself having to defend the front post and their main striker. Jimenez was clever understanding that the space for him was to pull back away from goal that then created a dilemma for his marker. Do they go with him and open up an opportunity for a killer pass across the face of goal, or stick his ground and allow the cut back to the striker? What does the defender do? Well, the lanky fucker somehow did both. He stood his ground taking away any killer square ball and so then knew the ball had to try to find Jimenez’s feet. But he also didnt let go the striker go so as soon as the ball was cut back to him he was already on it and snuffed out the chance before it could develop.

A lot of defending is about choosing the least bad option. This is where young defenders often struggle with the step up…the have the tools to defend against players, but struggle with the pace of the game in defending situations. Here the least bad option was to stand his ground and prevent the ball behind him across the face of goal because you can then always rush out to try to the block the shot when it inevitably gets cut back. For Quansah to somehow protect the near post while also stopping the striker getting space was a spectacular reading of the game.

3 Likes

Mad that we’ve got van Dijk and his regen at the same time.

1 Like

The trend continues with him doing better at LCB than RCB.

:joy:

1 Like
2 Likes

Defending in small spaces in that RCB area, he’s had some issues with that this season. But ball playing yesterday was really good. Similarities with Matip in those aspects.

He’s an fantastic young player considering hardly anyone knew him 12 months ago. Think even Klopp said himself he’s surprised with the giant steps he’s taken to reach this point, really like the lad and the temperament he carries however we do need to find a way to help him make up for a lack of pace, exposed a number of times now in behind and very slow to back track.

The only part of his game that worries me is that he has been almost caught a few times being over confident on the ball.

I don’t mind that too much though especially for someone his age…if it wasn’t for his over confidence on the ball then we never score the 2nd goal yesterday, the recovery pace is more of a concern along with slow reactions. Prague away was a worry, USG away was a worry, parts of the Burnley home game was a worry, Rashford at the end of stoppage time was a worry. These are the instances he looks most vulnerable.

Is it recovery pace or it stepping out and runners getting in behind him? I’ve never noticed a lack of pace in his game but I think part of his development will be learning when to push and when to drop. There are maybe one or two CBs in the world who could catch Rashford in full stride, so almost anyone will look comparatively slow.

1 Like

Their first goal came from that area, but it looked to me more an issue with Gomez. We got caught with them restarting quickly and and we ended up with Gomez in the CB position and Quansah outside him. They both then went to put pressure on the ball at the same time, which is what left the big gap inside them for the united runner to attack. We cannot know exactly what happened, but it looked like Quansah responding correctly to us being momentarily out of position and Gomez responding without recognition that was at that having to take responsibility for the CB role until we could reset.

1 Like