Jay Spearing (CM) Free Agent

Mentioning being eligible for 21s but seems he’s a coach mainly rather than doing a 50:50

It looks likely this is more about the club giving a former player a leg-up into coaching rather than something that’s going to massively benefit us.

1 Like

Underrated & underappreciated.

Who? Boy George or Shaun Fields? :wink:

Yes.

Why are we sure he won’t bring something to us also? He’s had a long career in professional football. Just because he didn’t have the abilities to play at the top level, doesn’t mean he can’t be a very good coach.

He’s already been called shite earlier in this thread. No professional footballer is shite. Lets not forget that Klopp himself never played at the top level - he’s turned out alright for a shite footballer.

1 Like

He was a shite player. Long way to go before he can claim anything about coaching.

He had a big heart and passion for LFC, so maybe that is what he can bring to some of our kids, and maybe for those that don’t make the grade some advice on what to do with your career post-LFC.

I never said he was shite by the way, I just think this is largely about doing a former player a favour to kick-start their post-playing career.

He’s not being handed the reigns to any club? He’s just coming to the end of his career as a footballer and coaching the U18s - same route Gerrard took.

As for the calling him shite - that’s harsh imo.

2 Likes

I know - was just a follow up part of my post :+1:

1 Like

I know someone who saw him giving it large in the city centre giving it the “you know who I am” shite.
Yes, mate we know who you are - someone who gets game time as this club (was then) is in a mess.

Not his fault he wasn’t good enough mind. Add him to the list of players tipped for big things then end up disappearing up their own arseholes.

1 Like

So he is joining as a coach? Now that makes sense.

I used to play snooker with his girlfriend’s dad occasionally and he couldn’t say enough good words about him.

I know plenty of others who’ve met him as well who also only said good things.

3 Likes

What in the world has Spearing ever done to get some of these replies? He wasn’t quite good enough to be a Liverpool player (although he played for us…so maybe at one point in time he was?), but he always tried his best and it was never lack of commitment or desire. I’d take a team of Spearings over the Pogba’s of the world. Let’s get a bit of perspective and all stop the going in two footed on poor wee Jay. C’mon people. I’m glad the club is looking after him, they won’t have given him this opportunity if they didn’t think he was up for it. At youth level, all glowed about how hard he worked and what a great kid he was.

10 Likes

yeah maybe he is a nice lad. I dont know him.
Can only go on what youve been told about someone.

I wasnt aware you could play overage players in the U23s anymore. It’s an interesting strategy and one lots of the Spanish sides use. Rather than throwing kids out there and allowing their development to be affected by a lack of experience, they bolster the segunda sides with professional carriers, players whose job is to provide experience and help them through games.

1 Like

Would Spearing even be good enough to start for our 23s. He’s probably a national league standard player now leaving a League 2 team. Whereas Morton, Balagzi, Clarkson are probably Championship or League 1 standard. Suppose his experience will be good, 400 appearances in leagues in which our lads will play at most likely will be good.

1 Like

It’s all official - do we need a welcome (back) thread and closure of this?!

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m a well-travelled man and I’ve done many things over the years, but I’ve not heard of a Spearing 69 before.

Sounds painful.

3 Likes