Joel MATIP: 2020/21

I’m sure players in other clubs think, wtf is wrong with this guy?! :joy:

What a beautiful and hilarious spirit in that human being. I love Matip. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

13 Likes

He may be a fantastic defender but was he made by Blue Peter out of sticky back plastic and an empty washing up bottle?

2 Likes

Ankle ligaments, at least a month I reckon. The most injury prone player I’ve seen for us, such disappointing news.

2 Likes

Poor lad… get well soon, mate.

3 Likes

Klopp says the injury looks serious. Ankle ligament damage.

2 Likes

I suppose the good news is that this confirms he has some ankle ligaments.

4 Likes

Probably made in China by the sounds of it.

Jokes aside, brilliant player but think its time we move on.

1 Like

At least Klopp and his staff should by now be completely convinced that they can’t rely on Matip in the future. Club’s most injury prone player since Kewell and that takes some effort as there were players like Agger, Lallana, Sturridge and Keita in the meantime. Quality when fit but probably won’t ever again be available for more than a quarter or a third of matches per season. I feel sorry for Klopp, he should have never been in this situation but this whole season is just another thing that corona completely screwed up.

5 Likes

Love the guy but he can’t be relied on.

2 Likes

What a 45 minutes though.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t put Agger on that dreadful injury list but I get what you say… I would add Ox though…

1 Like

The combo of him and Gomez are normally only good for a combined 40 games, an that’s being kind. We might as well get a solid CB at the end of the season and put Gomez and Matip slowly out to pasture (We wont get one this window so get over it). We can use them as a “break glass incase of emergency” CB’s, but unfortunate they are made from glass.

1 Like

Agger missed about 110 games through injuries in his last 6 seasons with us…so thats dreadful by any measure.

As for Matip…and in the wider context of our crisis now that even Fabinho is out with a muscle injury… beyond what the club decides to do, I just hope these players recover well for their own sake.

YNWA.

4 Likes

Reading comments around the socials, it’s bizarre to me that a portion of our supporters freely criticize Joël as if he is personally responsible for his own injuries yet those same “supporters” go on personal attacks of others for even mentioning Naby Keita’s injury history. Fickle lot. :man_shrugging:

Hope you get well soon, Joël. You’ll be missed. :heart:

6 Likes

One thing about Agger, is that once he got injured he returned to form immediately upon return.

6 Likes

I think you can say that about Fabinho, Matip too, problem is they could play together enough this season to form a consistent partnership so that is unfortunate. Agger could have been one of the best players in the world (he is, to us of course) but injuries just basically killed his career.

5 Likes

I think it helped that for many of us Agger was one of us. (Like Fowler)

Not just a professional but someone who loved the game, and club. That buys a lot of credit.

4 Likes

Also I believe he played through the pain. Perhaps not best for his career longer term but I don’t think Joel would even consider doing that.

2 Likes

Matip is no different. He’s been one of the best players on the pitch every time he’s played this season.

11 Likes