Joel MATIP: 2020/21

That’s very true, There are many instances where he should never have been back training, never mind dropped right into the first eleven and playing through injury. It’s ok now and again, but Agger tried to get through it too much, whereas other players (Sturridge) would pull up at the first sign. Maybe Matip is a Sturridge type, where really need players to be in between the extremes.

And let’s not forget Fabio Aurelio.

2 Likes

I was more talking about Aggers capacity to come back from long term injuries, more than the niggly ones. It was a particular quality. He would be out for 4 months, go straight into the first team and look like he had never been out. (perhaps I am biased as he was one of my favorite players)

But agree Matip this season has been excellent when he has played.

2 Likes

Have seen many similar comments here too and they drive me crazy. It’s frustrating but Matip, Keita and everyone else who is frequently injured isn’t doing it on purpose. It shouldn’t have to be said but there you go.

As for Matip he probably has an underlying issue causing all the niggles he has had during his time here. I seem to remember that his first injury problems started after removing screws surgically implanted on his ankle. Shame because he is a very likeable fellow. Not to mention the best CB in the league after Van Dijk.

3 Likes

Sky’s player rating had him on 5 and Phillips on a 6, they are so clueless.

On the injury, wonder when it happened in the match. I would have thought it happened when he had the collision with Kane.

I didn’t see any other instances where he looked uncomfortable, so slightly surprised at Klopp saying its serious.

2 Likes

My guess when he went to tackle Kane and Kane deliberately forced down on Matip’s right leg. I thought either the knee or ankle had to go yet Matip played on (Kane got a free kick but I found it hard to see what the foul was could have gone either way imo).

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the one I mean, he didn’t look like someone who was struggling with a knock for the remainder of that half.

2 Likes

Kane is an out n out Droolie Cnut.!

2 Likes

As above, I’m completely bemused by the injury. No sign of it during the first half and I thought he was playing well, again. He always does.

What I find frustrating is that they aren’t really long lay offs, just lots of small ones at really close intervals.

If he was injured in a tackle, I’d like to question what is going on with our players playing on?

Thiago did the same against the Ev. played about 10 minutes with a knee injury that subsequently kept him out for three months.

Is it too much to ask that when we suffer an injury we get the lad off?

I don’t think its a Liverpool thing, I think the typical approach is to see if it can be ran off in 5mins. Kane did the same.

1 Like

He’s done it before this season, continued to half time, his back injury (that was visible he looked like he had a rod up his arse). He does it so that Phillips or Williams don’t have to come on at short notice imo.

This one could be a bit longer, 4 maybe 6 weeks depending on how he recovers for such ankle injuries. If I twist my ankle it blows up like a fat balloon and I’m out 6 weeks (remembering from my young rugby playing days). Others can be over it in 2 weeks and don’t get their ankles blowing up.

Depends what the player feels at the time and who’s available to replace them. If it’s Thiago injured and we have Jones on the bench I see no reason why the sub isn’t made (just an example).

1 Like

yeah I just found it bizarre that I didn’t pick up on any limping or any indication of an injury whatsoever.

2 Likes

He slipped on a half-time slice of orange in the dressing room!
Joel (Frank Spencer) Matip…
Still gotta Love him though :0)

2 Likes

:rofl: Well it makes you think doesn’t it?

it’s frustrating because he’s so damn good.

2 Likes

With his voice he’d make a terrific pundit.

1 Like

I have it on reliable authority that Matip doesn’t fancy playing through pain.

( :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

I don’t think anyone fancies pain let alone playing through it. From the reliability of my own experiences. :wink:

2 Likes

We should force them to have a Chinese burn during their medical with any kind of crying sound meaning they fail and are fucked off sharpish.

8 Likes

That’s what it looked like to me. I thought his leg twisted awkwardly as they went to ground and quite honestly I was surprised to see him get up. And I was also thinking that Kane made that much more unnecessarily dangerous than he had to, by intentionally intertwining with Joël.

Matip was magnificent the first 45mns last night. Absolutely majestic. In particular, the moment Son thought he had a step on him with a clear look on goal in the box and Matip angled him from behind, stood him up and dispossessed him. Calm as you like.

This is a big miss for us and I fear it’s going to be the season. Ankles are really tricky to recover from quickly and can never be rushed. If he’s truly done his ligaments then, I’d say absolutely no chance.

6 Likes