Joel MATIP: 2020/21

There was an interesting point made on the Wrap yesterday about Contract renewals. A lot of the spine of the team are coming towards their last two years

At the end of this season Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, Henderson, Fabinho, Firmino, Keita, Ox and Shaqiri (Last three probably a bit more dispensable) all enter the last two years of their deals. Gini expires this summer. Milner next year.

Then at the end of next season, Trent, Robbo, Thiago, Gomez and Alisson will need new deals.

Obviously we might decide to cut a few of those lads before the renewals need doing, but in general we’re going to have to put a lot of money into keeping this team together. Over the next two years. And a lot of those contracts (I’m thinking Van Dijk, Mane, Salah, Fabinho, Alisson, Firmino, Hendo and Thiago) are going to need to be massive, given their age and the status in the game they have grown to.

6 Likes

That’s exactly what I think as well, at least as far as transfer money for new players is concerned. There won’t be any new incomings in January, that’s for sure.

A lot of those mentioned are going to be the wrong side of 30 by the time those contracts need renewing. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few of them at an impasse, maybe something similar to Gini atm.

1 Like

That’s why I was surprised with the last transfer window, now I would be even more surprised. Signing a Jota equivalent level CB is a unreasonable ask from a financial perspective.

To be honest it was said last time and then we committed on Jota and Thiago.

I think it is there if Klopp wants to use it upfront, it really depends if our targets are there, I think reinforcements are needed in defence, though you wonder if Matip for 3 weeks is a bargaining tool.

I do expect to bring someone in but he will be a stop gap.

1 Like

I think we have the money if the right player for the right price becomes available. Got to trust Edwards to carry on doing good work.

Clearly the books won’t be looking good given Covid. But the market will reflect that, and there will be clubs that need to offload players to keep the club finances in the black.

Would also be helpful if we can offload a couple and bring some money in - Big Div being the prime candidate to bring in a few quid.

2 Likes

We ended up buying them on something like a ÂŁ10m down payment and the rest punted into the long grass. That in itself shows that money is very tight.

There is a limit to how much we can commit to like this.

Why? We haven’t done significant shopping for several seasons now and most/all the planned payment instalments for past purchases have probably been met or coming to an end.

I get the feeling that that was deliberate prudent financial planning to spread the payment over a few seasons rather than it was forced on us. I mean, because of the lack of income, why wouldn’t we not want to pay later if we could negotiate it.

1 Like

It’s normal to spread a transfer fee over 3-4 instalments, however there was something about the way we approached our business this summer that makes me think we haven’t much cash.

We bought Tsimikas early on, but only after selling Degsy for a similar amount.

We waited a long time for Thiago, before agreeing to (IIRC) a ÂŁ5m down payment. Then bought Jota for a down payment of ÂŁ10m with Hoever going in the other direction for about that.

I genuinely think there is not very much money knocking about, or the club are trying to be very careful, not knowing when revenues are going to be back pre-COVID.

Other teams, like Everton and Spurs. Loaned money to fund their moves.

1 Like

This for me. The owners are very careful business men. That’s not to say funds aren’t and won’t be in the bank just that they are being cautious and not using them if they don’t have to. I’d say sorting a deal this Jan for a CB comes under a need.

1 Like

We have lost the matchday revenue due to COVID and maybe some assorted commercial revenues (ads inside the stadium etc.). So we have lost a sizable chunk of our revenue and we haven’t taken any loans to finance the operation. It’s bound to have some impact on our purchasing power.

9 Likes

Get well soon Joël! You are missed. :heart:

3 Likes

I think it was over optimism to expect him to be available for the United game.

2 Likes

I’m sure @Scott.Jones can send something Joel’s way to help speed up his recovery.

9 Likes

:joy:

I was thinking about that too

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

Already been delivered given his antics

7 Likes

That is the only reason he’s even in contention for the United game. Without @Scott.Jones aid it’d prob be late feb till we saw Matip again.

4 Likes

8 Likes