Joel MATIP: 2020/21

Liverpool trio Thiago Alcantara, Naby Keita and Joel Matip are unlikely to be ready to face Danish champions FC Midtjylland on Tuesday.

The “Made out of crisps” Sicknote XI:

Kirkland
Jones Matip Agger Aurelio
Aquilani KeĂŻta
Smicer Litmanen Kewell
Fowler

Tasty team, that.

5 Likes

I don’t remember Jones. But look at the quality oozing throughout that team. :heart_eyes:.

One of the best RBs we’ve ever had, for about 2 years.

5 Likes

No Sturridge?!

I also don’t remember Smicer being particularly injury prone. Fowler wasn’t really made out of crisps either, imo.

I’d go with your back 5 then:

Aquilani Redknapp
Shaqiri Lallana Kewell
Sturridge

2 Likes

Injured for so long you forgot he had even signed for us

1 Like

Yeah I like that one Kopstar, although I might make a small change and tweak the formation.

Kirkland
Jones Matip Agger Aurelio
Aquliani Redknapp Lallana Kewell
Litmanen
Sturridge

Fucking Redknapp - in the vernacular of the era he was a real sicknote big time Charlie and a big part of why we underachieved in the 90s.

That XI scores highly on shattered dreams and disappointment about potential lost and isn’t keeping many clean sheets either.

Robbie Fowler? Not quite made of crisps maybe more crackers. 8 years first spell averaged 30 games a season.

Well done. My only preference would be Sturridge over Fowler; much as Fowler had injury troubles, Sturridge basically went AWOL the season after Suarez left. I don’t dispute that he was unlucky and had some physical issues, but I did get the feeling that he was less-than-resilient mentally after hearing the Stevie G anecdotes about Suarez being (pratically) willing to play with a broken leg vs. Sturridge having to be told that the team needed him against Man Utd in Fall 2013 (and he scored the winner). I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels he could have been undisputably world-class if he was fit more often.

1 Like

Ox wouldn’t be too far from that list, considering how it’s been going for him sadly.

3 Likes

Clearly our second best CB in the squad. Can’t remember a game were he disappointed since he came in. Fucking injuries.

8 Likes

Yeah obviously the second best in the squad but probably the second best in the league too. Has barely had a bad game for 3 years apart from against the mighty Shrewsbury.

He’s great in the air and on the ground. Proper defender.

7 Likes

He was flawless today. Tidy, excellent reading of the game and kept one of the top attacks quiet. That too with a new CB partnership which isn’t easy.

5 Likes

Fantastic defender shame he so injury prone. Fingers crossed he can stay fit now because we really need him.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Wrap him in bubble wrap
very slowly and carefully!!!

9 Likes

The world needs more Matip.

7 Likes

My heart misses a couple of beats every time this thread gets bumped

6 Likes
9 Likes

Still not enough protection to defend him from injuring himself.

2 Likes