Joel MATIP: 2020/21

At least a tampon is available every month.

5 Likes

Also Giniā€™s little decoy run towards the right, pulling a few of their players, which opened up the space.

When Matip went down, I was hoping he got hit in the balls. :pensive:

4 Likes

Not an expert but I thought the position he was holding in pain was more of the adductor on the front rather than the inner groin, though it might be either. Hope he recovers soon. YNWA.

1 Like

Sturridge wasnā€™t great though, the injuries ruined his ability to play football. Matip was one of the best players on the pitch yesterday.

18/19 was the least injury hit season of Sturridgeā€™s career, he was just bad. Thatā€™s why Klopp let him go.

7 Likes

I agree. Thatā€™s the real shame about the situation. Fit, and maintaining a level of fitness, he is a fantastic player and should be in the side partnering VVD.
Not to blame him for Gomezā€™s injury but I think it could be said had Matip been available more Joe would not have been played so much and it might have prevented his latest injury.

2 Likes

Strange viewpoint. At one point Sturridge was looking like he could challenge for best player in the world style awards. That season with Suarez and him they were both out of this world. But every time he got injured his pace, mobility and passion for the game seemed to take a hit. As good as Matip can be (unfortunately infrequent due to injuries and fitness) heā€™s never hit the heights that Sturridge did when we finished 2nd.

2 Likes

Read the discussion again.

5 Likes

Please NOā€¦

1 Like

So it was the groin. My first thought. Gutted for Joel. One of my absolute favorites in the world.

This essentially forces the club to go to market in Jan.

2 Likes

Have to buy, I hope it was an option we were considering before

1 Like

I was really hoping it would be a grade 1 strain, at least that would have been 2-3 weeks, brilliant player but completely unreliable.

Feel sorry for him, not a surprise though. We simply have to accelerate summer plans now.

2 Likes

Just saw ā€˜dereliction of dutyā€™ included in a comment under an Echo article.

This latest injury was worth it for that alone.

Fuck people can be stupid.

3 Likes

True or falseā€¦

The same comment ended with:

ā€˜JK canā€™t handle the truth!ā€™

1 Like

And then @SBYM said

4 Likes

1,600 followers, account restricted, talks a load of shite.

Not believing this just yet. More chance of Joel scoring an overhead kick against United than this fella having a reliable source.

2 Likes

Agreed. Weā€™re also going to get absolutely fucking rinsed in the market as well. And we need to be OK with that.

Iā€™m actually wondering if we need two, to be honest.

2 Likes

Two is the way Iā€™d go. One a dedicated Centre back and one who could play as a full back as needed if that was possible. Should a decent offer arrive for Matip in the summer, let him go.

1 Like

People saying itā€™s 6 weeks rather than 3-4 months. Weā€™ll find out soon enough. We need to get in a top quality CB asap even if it costs us an extra 10%, also look for a loan signing like we did with that Caulker bloke a few years ago. Failure to do so will be throwing in the towel on the whole season imo.

3 Likes

I agree on the overall picture, but 22 PL goals in 13-14 canā€™t be sneezed at ā€” it was 2nd highest in the League after Suarez. If he was able to put that together on a consistent (e.g. more than one season) basis, weā€™d be talking about him as world-class. That said, his output (and as you note his ability) declined pretty much year after year, and I think Klopp knew that he just couldnā€™t be depended on, which ā€” along with dynamic, reliable, and just plain better reinforcements like Salah and Mane coming in ā€” saw him become pretty much just a sub. Still, he gave us a couple of good moments in 18/19 off the bench, including that screamer at Chelsea, so it wasnā€™t all a waste.