Squad Number: 32
Position: Defender
Height: 1.93m
Weight: 83 kg
D.O.B.: 08.08.1991.
Town of Birth: Bochum
Country of Birth: Germany
Nationality: Cameroonian

The Comedian. 187 games, 15096 mins, 11 goals, six assists.

145 PL games. Lost 11.

No PL player with more than 100 games has a better record.

2 Likes

These things happen.

He’s one of very few who had play the entire 106 minutes or whatever it was.

Should have been 10.

2 Likes

He’s playing his way to a new contract extension, even if it’s just a 1 year I hope he signs.

Also worth noting he’s only missed 2 weeks to injury in the last 2 and a bit seasons.

1 Like

Shame for the own goal, because he actually coped well in some dangerous moments last night.

Since he never played LCB for us (he didn’t in that moment last night, but it was in a “LCB zone”), not even for a second in a friendly game, maybe he wasn’t really used to defend a dangerous cross like that with his left.

Still of the opinion that no new contract should be offered to him and we thank him at the end of the season.

1 Like

2 Likes

Get that new contract on the table for him Klopp.

This one is a tough call to make for the club considering the injuries. He evidently still is good enough at this level. I don’t think he would be happy with a 1 year but if he was I would do it.

Not a short term injury according to Klopp.

They rarely are with Matip.

Getting close to the edge again. What with Robbo, Matip and Jota all long term.

Klopp prayed for some good luck on the injury front before the Fulham game but to no avail… We’re maintaining the one injury per game ratio.

We absolutely need to dip in the Jan market because as ever during this time of year we’re one injury away from a calamity. Don’t care if it’s a RB, CB, DM, LW, tea lady, kit man, promoting Achteberg to #2 but it has to be something.

Liverpool suffered an injury blow as centre-back Joel Matip had to go off with what appeared to be a knee injury after 69 minutes.

“Today the big shadow on the game is Joel Matip,” said Reds boss Jurgen Klopp. "[It’s] a really unlucky situation, but it doesn’t look good. I am pretty sure he will be out.

“He’s not had a scan yet but after all you hear and can see, that will not be a short [lay-off]. We have to get through this, but this was a good start to the busy period.”

Judging by Klopp’s choice of words, I would be surprised if we see Matip again this season… Or am I reading too much into it? Usually, when Klopp says it’s bad, it’s really bad. It seemed like a knee injury, Klopp said Matip hadn’t had the scan yet.

If his contract is up in the summer, there’s the possibility we’ve already been working on deals for a replacement (unless we were planning on giving him a new deal?).

If that is this the case, it’s possible we just try and bring the deal for that target forward. Or that we already had somebody lined up for January anyway.

Lots of ifs in that mind you.

1 Like

Tô be fair he said Jota was a long one but he’s now running so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see back at Xmas on that basis.

Maybe Klopp’s decided to over egg them now.

Yeah, I don’t think we can judge anything much from it. He said for Jota that it’s bad, Alisson that it’s bad enough, etc. We’ll know more on Matip in one of the next press conferences, I guess. Don’t think it’s necessarily season over for him, judging by Klopp’s words.

1 Like

I think anything to 3-4 weeks especially over this period is bad.