Joël MATIP: 2023/24

BREAKING:

Liverpool expect to be without Joël Matip for several months after the defender sustained a knee ligament injury during Sunday’s win over Fulham. [@AHunterGuardian]

That could be the last we see of him in LFC shirt.

Wish him well, both with his health and future club. Hope he can still play a part this season, but he will get a nice reception of course at the end of the season.

I think he’ll definitely play for us again, even if it’s a dead rubber at the end of the season (after we’ve wrapped up the title :wink: )

Klopp will want to give him a decent Anfield send-off I’m sure.

1 Like

Massive shame this one - he’s been in excellent form and if I recall correctly, this is the first really serious one he’s had in his time at the club? A good few niggles have kept him out ofcourse and he is prone to that.

Hope he gets some more game time before he leaves, but looking unlikely. I assume the club will not offer an extension to him.

As much as I loved Macca (the OG), I think Joel has been the clubs best Bossman signing

23/24: 1060 mins
22/23: 1603 mins
21/22: 3705 mins

I feel there ought to be a good-bye come May.

Looked to me like his foot slipped after coming down on the artificial turn on the sides of the pitch. Everyone knows having a contrasting surface like that on the edge of the pitch can create dangerous situation so I dont understand why they continue to have them

Not better than Milner for me.

3 Likes

Forgot about Milner! :scream_cat:

1 Like

Poor Joel. If he leaves after this season, the least he deserves is a proper send-off as a Liverpool legend.

We can only hope that this “several months” will eventually mean not more than 3 or 4 months on the sidelines, so he could still be part of the potential title push and Europa League run in the spring, which would be a fitting end to his Liverpool career.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1732521945155981476?s=20

Give him a one year extension.

Really sad for him. With all the troubles he’s had with injuries, he really should have been given a pass in his final season here. He’s quite likely played his last game for Liverpool and won’t get a proper on-field send-off.

Can definitely see an extension happening. Feels like something Klopp would do.

With the new CL format we will have even more games. Isn’t there a new Club World Cup also?

Don’t think he is on high wages anyway and by far still our second best CB this season.

Bring in a new quality CB and keep Joel as a squad player.

Bollocks. Quansah has been really good for us but I hope if we were planning on getting a CB next summer that we bring forward those plans for January.

Welp, fuck. Seems whatever we were eyeing for the summer needs to be moved up now.

Huge shame, would’ve loved him around for another season but this likely spells the end of his career here and he may have been on his way anyway.

Feel sorry for him and the team. He was having a nice season and now he’s probably played his last game for the club.

Horrible news

Sadly his last game in my view.

I think we were probably going buy someone I expect we now will.

Bummer :frowning: