Joël MATIP: 2023/24

32 year old with an ACL injury? I guess the risk around recovery is not what it once was, but that is an injury where at his age he may not be training by summer, and may never recover his full speed.

If it wasn’t a serious consideration before I think it is now that we will be in the market for a CB in Jan.

I wish the best for Joël but that will be a hard one to come back from at his age, at least at Liverpool.

2 Likes

Considering his injury record and considering the latest injury, I think he should consider retirement. His body has become even more brittle and he can’t possibly get considerable minutes in any competitive league.

Awful news.

I’d be gobsmacked if we ever see him in Red again.

Occasional whipping boy, but one of my favourites and clearly well-liked by the boys.

Great memories!

YNWA

6 Likes

Think he’ll go back to the Bundesliga.

1 Like

Bush league, innit.

Up to a year physical and then add a few months mental to get back. No chance to play for LFC again. Brutal facts. Sad.

Nice buy in hindsight. Hope he gets an opportunity for some nice farewell cos he is a good fella and decent player.

He was a free, iirc.

Great value!

Yep great combination of the most expensive fullback ever with a freebie!! Klopp can pick ‘em.

Means Virg was essentially £30m, I reckon.

Thinking of nasty knee injuries for us over the last few years.

Ox - was never the same again and much younger than Joel at the time. Thought he was going pretty good until the injury.

Virg - took a good year. Playing well now though.

Joe - I remember he was out for ages with I think a knee. Semi back to some first team form.

And I think Darwin and Thiago (remember him) may have done acl pre LFC. Worked out OK.

Easier when you have youth on your side and a good injury record.

Matip has nethier. I kind of expected us to move earlier as we did on Gakpo and Diaz so I expect we will.

Doubt we will see a DM unless that’s already done.

1 Like

If we were planning an extension, something would’ve been reported by now, if not already agreed and announced. It doesn’t make much sense. It was nice to have him, sometimes with mixed success. The best Matip for me was in the second part of 18/19, which then culminated in Madrid (it’s not his last good period, was pretty good largely in 21/22, but 2019 was his peak for me). That tackle on Messi at Anfield can be a cherry on cake for that period of his. Will remain in positive memory, but it’s really time to say goodbye.

Yeah Joe blew his ACL a few days after Jurgen joined the club back in Oct 2015, and missed the rest of that season. Following that niggles and issues followed him around, and eventually he had surgery on his ankle too but his knee was holding up…until during Covid when he fucked it again and was out a stretch. Just so unlucky with injuries but still only 26 and looks fit and well.

Fear for Matip is that even if he recovers by summer, he will have other smaller niggles following it, and prob won’t be able to play for the best part of a year.

I think with Matip, it’s probably more likely a wait and see - for both the club and Joel.

If we have our eyes on CBs to bring in and act upon that (we were going for Colwill in the summer), and have Quansah looking decent as he comes through, Matip’s playing time would be massively limited. Like Bobby, Klopp would probably want to keep him around, but if he’s not playing and is commanding a half decent wage, it makes little sense for the club.

I actually think this injury will make Klopp want to extend his contract for a year, and help Matip regain fitness and maybe play some part next season. I hope we help him recover but also think its time to say goodbye to big Joel.

1 Like

Maybe if he was a young player, who could still be useful on the pitch and represent resale value. For me it’s quite simple, even before this injury, I think it was time. Not it’s even more so. It’s a little bit unfortunate, but it is how it is. He’ll be alright, get himself fit for a pre-season somewhere else and play a few more years.

2 Likes

Maybe we can get Ben ‘the ghost’ Davies back, January?

Just stand in front of a mirror and say his name 3 times

I bet this causes no end of irritation to the Spurs left-back…

Has played nearly 4000 mins for Rangers

No Way Reaction GIF by Liverpool FC