Joël MATIP: 2023/24

Yeah, that’s not enough for a CB.

Only 1 season with 40+ games.

He was pretty good for us, although for me he wasn’t a top CB. We had/have 1 top and the rest were fighting among each other to be his partner.

On paper, when fit and in normal form, Matip was most often the best pick of the rest. Since Paris, Konate took him over in the pecking order.

In my opinion, the absolute best Matip played for us was when he came back into the starting XI midway through the 18/19 season and then that spring on the way to Madrid.

The crowning moment of that peak period of his career for us can be that tackle on Messi in the first half of the return leg.

Good player, funny character, probably not even knowing that he’s funny most of the time, one of the better deals on a free, a bit out of nowhere.

Joel’s leaving will be overlooked tomorrow I imagine. That would be a great shame. He’s been a brilliant servant to the club over the last 8 years and has been massively under-rated by a large section of our fans.
Hope he turns up somewhere decent and has another few good years before hanging up his boots.

8 Likes

Joel Matip wants to stay in the Premier League next season and is confident that he still has the ability to do so after being released by Liverpool.

Bournemouth are interested in signing the defender on a free transfer.

4 Likes

Good luck to him if he stay fit.

2 Likes

I don’t think PL is right for him, specially at this stage.

4 Likes

With Adrian and Thiago retiring, I wonder if Joel would do the same.

Adrian hasn’t retired, he signed for Betis. Don’t think Matip will retire either, at least there were no such rumours so far.

1 Like

Yeah, forgot about Adrian. Considering his brittleness (now compounded by age), I wonder if Matip will get considerable games in a competitive league.

In talks with Leverkusen.

3 Likes

Déjà vu moment. Sami Hyypiä played for Leverkusen after leaving Liverpool.

3 Likes