Jordan Henderson (CM) to Al-Ettifaq

Don’t like it. Proof if it happens that money really can buy anyone and anything. Wouldn’t begrudge Henderson taking that kind of money. It’s obscene to the point of being ludicrous to say no to it.

But it all just feels very wrong. That kind of money, that kind of player being tempted, us accepting money from there and Gerrard being the driving force behind it. All kinds of grim.

9 Likes

only consolation for me, is its all happening way before season starts…players/fans will have time to adjust to new reality

Ordinarily I would agree. However, I think the sort of leadership Hendo has delivered tends to only carry weight when he’s playing and demonstrating his value. If he is considering this move I would have to think Klopp must have told him already that he’s not going to play very much. If that is true then maybe we have to factor in the loss of his leadership already such that losing him wont change much. Yes it will be a void those who are left will have to fill, but I suspect if Klopp is giving him the signals that would make him consider this move that void will already be something we’re going to have to deal with. Maybe it’s actually easier for the other players to step up to fill that void without him still being around?

I would be surprised if the fee held this up. I dont imagine our books are projecting getting money for either him or Thiago, but those books look a lot healthier with their wages off them. Maybe even heathier enough to justify another signing fee for a player who wont be earning anything near what Hendo or Thiago make.

1 Like

this 700k is tax fuckin free folks…take a deep breath

1 Like

Thiago expects to stay at Liverpool.
@David_Ornstein

If he decides to go, more power to him. A Liverpool legend with a last chance to cash out. Can’t blame him for going and will appreciate his years of quality play for the club and the leadership he showed both on the pitch and off of it.

Plus, selling him frees up more room to bring in Lavia or another CM.

1 Like

Jordan Henderson is giving serious consideration to a move to Saudi Arabia with Steven Gerrard’s Al-Ettifaq side determined to make the Liverpool captain a high-profile signing.
@_pauljoyce

Joyce now weighing in…

Of the veteran midfielders, the order I would rather they left is Thiago, Fabinho than Henderson. (The last two could reverse depending on incoming).

Still, if a good offer presents itself and the player wants to take it, we will be looking to sign Lavia.

At that point we miss some leadership, but everything moves on and we have lots of leaders in the squad, so we will be fine. We will get an inexperienced player, but it won’t be long before Lavia grows beyond our veteran midfielders in value to us.

Klopp has also been considering further midfield reinforcements with Southampton’s Romeo Lavia, 19, a potential target. -
@_pauljoyce

Jordan Henderson is seriously considering leaving Liverpool after receiving a contract offer that dwarfs his current 200k p/w salary. -
@_pauljoyce

Henderson has not been the subject of a formal bid as yet and it is unlikely one would be made unless he were to indicate he was willing to leave. Entering a decisive few days, the midfielder is likely to hold talks with Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, which will determine his future.
@_pauljoyce

]

Big call for Jürgen if true

Had to happen at some time. Not ideal , but if 700k per week is what’s being reported , won’t blame him. He’s not likely a part for Euro 2024 considering the other midfielders that England have.

1 Like

Problem is we lose another homegrown player. Minor compared to losing the captain but still. Any homegrown signings will just have increased in price.

1 Like

thats why i was initially surprised earlier in the day when it was claimed he was staying so he could make the Euro squad…he might as a sub but thats it

Wouldn’t be great to lose Hendo,after Millie going but it was going to happen, if it does now, sooner or later.
Hendo’s best playing days are likely behind him, tbh,and I certainly would not begrudge him securing his future.
If he does go the idea that we have done most of what we wanted this window is shot to bits, though I am not convinced Lavia is the answer.Maybe a part, but no more.

I’d still think that we need two midfielders if Henderson does go. Maybe Lavia and someone else apart from a CB

And fuck you stevie , If you had to take ex liverpool players / team mates , you could have done Suarez / Coutinho and Sturridge deals.

1 Like

Jurgen will be nothing but respectful with Henderson, while at the same time, straight-shooting. If Hendo wants a guarantee that he will start, when fit, I don’t think Jurgen will be in a position to give that. Neither will he be able to guarantee x amount of starts, or minutes or whatever.

I would imagine Jurgen could wax lyrical about Henderson’s value as a leader, and value to the club culture, and mean every word of it. But as for playing, the only answer must surely be, “I will pick the team on merit, each week.”

If Henderson is the best man for the game in front of us, pick him. If the data shows that he is waning, or the others are edging ahead of him, then as ever, I expect the Liverpool manager to do what’s best for Liverpool Football Club.

2 Likes

well said!