Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

Seems like they are getting a bit tired of the speculation as well.

We rate Tyler Morton at Bellingham + Moukoko

1 Like

Maybe they should move on from their “buy them young, develop them, win nothing, sell them to richer clubs for immense profit” model if they’ve grown tired of speculation. My respect for their club as a whole could hardly be bigger but if one thinks I’m a depressed Liverpool fan, you wouldn’t want to hear my thoughts if I supported Dortmund.

4 Likes

Fuck Dortmund. We should compete to stop them buying young english players cheap and then flogging them on at inflated prices after they’ve had two years in their farmers league.
Playing nice in the past hasn’t helped re Jude so I hope in future we unsettle their players and look to steal them as cheaply and unceremoniously as possible.

2 Likes

That’s assuming it helps rather than harms?

Of course - I suppose I’m more getting at the pussying around Dortmund we have allegedly done not to offend the club and its ties with Klopp.

2 Likes

I think it is too early to know whether that is the issue here. It’s possible Dortmund had a deal with us and it is Jude who has changed his mind.

I think it is also difficult for Dortmund to make a deal with us when clubs like Real Madrid and City may be offering substantially more cash (and have a wealth of young talent that could go to them).

This is when I return to what I said before, that people believe too much of what they read about transfers. I’m not sure how much of these “news” can even be considered anything but just made-up.

1 Like

I highly doubt that, in fact I think the opposite… The prospect of selling us without champions league football drops the price probably more than the money needed to sign the players…

The problem is that if we try to develop too many young players, then we end up becoming like Dortmund. A club that can polish raw gems, but can never win titles because they’re still too rough.

But I have to say, if the club really, really wanted Bellingham, then its looking little too late. Not only is the price beyond our principles (not our reach, we should damn well be able to spend 100m in a window), but the player also has a lot more suitors now who can be even more attractive to him possibly. I think the sweet spot is probably when the valuation of these young prospects is around 30-50m mark. Unfortunately Dortmund have been adamant about not selling earlier because they knew they had a golden egg in their hands.

The only way I see this happening if its a case like Virgil, where he wanted to come to us no matter what.

I respect/appreciate your point of view regarding Dortmund (insert other team) buying young Players on the cheap selling them on at a premium but it is something that big teams - including us - are guilty of.

I actually admire Dortmund’s approach, they have a good business strategy. For example with Bellingham they identified and invested £25m in a 17yr old midfielder playing for Birmingham City in the championship, hardly cheap. Additionally, they Took Sancho from Man City youth and brought Haaland in and flipped him for a good (admittedly should have been higher) fee.

So i feel we should actually learn from Dortmund rather than hate them.

1 Like

Not sure we have much to learn, these are players we were after too. Dortmund had inherent advantages that allowed them to close those deals.

1 Like

As a young kid, football prospect, it is only natural, they want to play, learn and get better at it… Dortmund offers them that in abundance. It doesn’t mean they go on to the latter stages of the CL or even win their own domestic league year after year with these youngsters… but why give the Dortmund fans what they crave when the club can profit 10 fold from these young acquisitions.
I see Dortmund as a business first and foremost and less than ambitious football club coming in at a poor second… Can’t sell the youngsters on if they have not been displayed on the football pitch shop window…
The club, the youngsters both benefit from these tactics, the fans unfortunately, not so much…!

2 Likes

I also don’t think Liverpool ‘played nice’ with Dortmund btw.
Think he just wasn’t for sale this summer and when a player is already valued at over £100m it’s not exactly one you can convince them by paying way over the odds. Telling that literally no club went after him.

Since Klopp took over the club have promised to be respectful of Dortmund and chase their players without permission.

Surely it would be more respectful not to chase them without permission :joy:

1 Like

I think it’s more to do with the issue of replacing them. Letting one big talent go a year is easier to manage than two or three.

1 Like

I don’t think we have been though. It is likely our contact with him has been given the go ahead by Dortmund as long as we don’t try to upset the apple cart and get him to force his way out. Dortmund have probably been willing to listen to our offers but not heard anything that would lead them to bring his departure any closer.

I don’t think our behaviour is confined to just Dortmund. I am really proud that our club behaves according to principles and that includes when dealing with other clubs. We can be bastards like the Barcelonas of the world where they will openly approach players or turn their heads by talking publicly about them and I believe we have as much clout and draw if we really want to do that. But we prefer to do it the right way, just like how we run the club, just like how we finance the club, just like how we treat players in the squad, just like how we basically behave.

4 Likes

Yeah, we have learnt to play fair and respectful generally. Not because our club reps are better human beings than others, but they like to play the long-term game. From that perspective, it’s obviously better to build up good relationships with other clubs - especially clubs tending to develop potential gems for us like Dortmund - as you’ll have to deal with them more than once in the future.

1 Like