Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

I see what you did there…
Eithier way.

1 Like

and maybe his future teammate Florian Wirtz who recently returned from his ACL injury.

1 Like

Probably what I’m scared of most is that Bellingham at this point in time is absolutely convinced he wants to come here, but that the media gets in his ear and starts seeding doubts about our ambitions (especially if we don’t improve in the table) and he changes his mind. The club have pushed the boat out for him and had all the assurances in the world but RM know how to play the media.

Did you ever have a crush on a girl in primary school, you ask her out then your mates poke fun saying she looks like a bucket of smashed crabs and you do a 180 on her? (hey of course I was shallow! I was a kid!). That’s my fear with Jude. I believe it can happen but both us and Jude need to have our wits about us.

There is a story to be told about what went wrong this year that the press are likely only ever going to be able to speculate on. When the realization first started setting in that what we were suffering was not an in-season slump we were likely to play our way out of, but a failed season, I commented that Klopp being able to convincingly articulate that story would likely be critical in how successful we would be in landing our primary targets. If he can convince an in demand player that their absence was the difference between what happened this season and where we had been previously, that is likely to be resilient enough to fend off the affects of media shit stirring.

4 Likes

I’m worried that the potential for missing out on CL qualification will discourage players like Bellingham from joining.

Real risk I think.

1 Like

With Bellingham in particular, I think it is less likely to be a concern as he strikes me as someone who sees the importance of a bigger picture. I’m sure if the club were worried about it, we would have seen someone brought in last month or last summer.

But if it does happen, then I’m sure we can find suitable alternatives willing to step in.

2 Likes

I have less worries on the CL front, always seemed a better excuse than an actual reason.

As Limiescouse says it up to the club to answer that concern for players like Bellingham.

I do think European football is important mind.

2 Likes

As @redfanman said, Jude seems the bigger picture type. Think also noting that what we have historically known as “CL clubs” (aka. the old big four etc) was a bit of a closed shop, but that shop has now hugely opened up.

Arsenal failed to make it last season, yet are on course to win the PL. Newcastle, Chelsea, United, and Spurs are all there or there abouts (along with City and Arsenal ofcourse). Essentially we now have seven teams (inc us) that have CL ambitions, and I believe we will see teams make it one year then out the next going forward. Therefore, I’m less concerned about missing out and Jude turning elsewhere - if he does, good luck to him

If we had suitable alternatives, Arthur Melo wouldn’t be here at the end of the Summer window or no new incomings for this winter window.

2 Likes

Im sure there were suitable alternatives ,we either weren’t willing to acknowledge we needed them enough or we just weren’t willing to pay for them.

1 Like

We weren’t planning on bringing midfielders in last summer. They are the priority in the upcoming summer window. That makes a big difference.

We may not have planned to but we needed to,that why we brought in Melo.We thought/hoped he do well as a stop gap but where wrong .

1 Like

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

:joy:

1 Like

It was rumoured we wanted Nunes but we were too slow to make a move.

It was rumoured that we couldn’t insure him due to his covid vaccine status.

It was rumoured we were unsure how he’d adapt to the PL so Mendes agreed to place him at Wolves for a year.

Let’s not put too much stock in rumours.

2 Likes

Yeah, none of the rumours suggests were were gazumped or lost out. All include some reservation that prevented us taking concrete action. There is different reporting on what that reservation is, but it’s pretty unchallenged that he kept Wolves at arm length as long as possible waiting for other concrete offers that never came. The nature of that deal, and how much he had to have his arm twisted to make the move makes the idea that he has a get out clause for this summer seem like it is plausible, but dont think it is any more than speculation.

1 Like

We don’t know the facts so if we can’t talk about rumours might as well close the forum. :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s rumoured that he’s shite