Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

It feels like the Konate deal where it was suggested in January that we would sign him and there was seemingly an agreement already in place. I expect Jude to be announced on 29th May 2023 :wink:

1 Like

A lot of jounro’s/ITKs have recently gone from saying “next summer” to “next year” - maybe a Jan one - one can hope.

Do you all think that we might go for both Jude and Caciedo at the same time? I am just thinking that if Jude does not make it very clear that we are the only club he will come and reject all other advances, I think we might just try to sign Caciedo in January or agree in Jan to come in summer and because I don’t think Caciedo himself will not come cheap, at least around 30m - 40m? And because of that, Jude even if he says he will only choose us, Dortmund will still expect north of 60m-70m I am sure…

I think we’ll sign two midfielders. Caicedo looks good but is he the 6/8 type we want?

I reckon we’ll be trying to get something lined up for Jan… I have a strong suspicion Caicedo follows Potter to Chelsea, but there are plenty of good alternatives.

1 Like

i think that will depend if Dortmund are still in CL

1 Like

Yes - if neither are in the CL he may move to one of the many other clubs likely chasing his signature. Pretty confident that Halaand will be on the dog n bone to Jude telling him out lovely the sport washing money is.

I think this is the one we might do in January.

Definitely. There’s (almost) always another player. In some cases, like with Ali and Virgil, I completely see the reason in the all or nothing approach, because of our playing style.

But I don’t see Bellingham in that category, in terms of adding something obvious we don’t have and moving the needle. Not a clear difference maker for me, like I think Tchouameni perhaps could have been.

3 Likes

Important to remember in the Virgil deal it wasnt Klopp who decided there was no one else. He was ready to move on, especially after Southampton put up the price. It was the owners, quite possibly as an act of contrition for fucking it up in the first place, who convinced him that the money didnt matter (in this specific case) if this was who he had identified as his primary target.

I think the specific circumstances of how that deal fell through initially should not be used to extrapolate to a general attitude towards our priority targets.

4 Likes

At this point it’s probably worthwhile not to put stock into any of the apparent ‘rules’ which dictate our transfer policy.
At one point we didn’t buy in January but repeatedly have in the right circumstances. We always wait for our primary targets, but in actual fact have changed targets (Salah) or as above had Klopp willing to move on from VVD. Players need a bedding in period to get used to Klopp’s system…apart from the ones who don’t. We don’t sign elastoplast players, unless we have to bring in Kabak or Melo.
In Bellingham, I personally don’t see any more concrete evidence that we want to sign him than we already saw at times with Mbappe, Dembele and Sancho; throwaway comments about Mbappe playing as Liverpool on FIFA, Klopp ‘mentioning’ Dembele and trying to sign Sancho before going to Dortmund, and the media ran with all these, citing them as evidence of Klopp being desperate to sign them and all wanting to come to Liverpool, but all ultimately ending up elsewhere.

This isn’t to say it the same will happen with Bellingham, it is more to say that nothing means anything concrete when it comes to us and transfers. While you can infer what we may try to do and what we are likely to do, it doesn’t mean it will be the case.

Probably 100% we like Bellingham and have been monitoring him constantly since he was at Birmingham, but the same will most likely be true of all the other top clubs. At the right price we will probably try to sign him, but if the price goes to high, or wage demands go to high, there’s as much evidence from previous deals that we’ll walk away and try for a different player. We didn’t do that with Ali and VVD, but ultimately the seling clubs agreed to sell to us so we didn’t have to. With Bellingham if he fancies City, PSG or Real and they are willing to pay much more, then we’re shit out of luck.

5 Likes

I think that’s a bit of a myth about Salah.

He was right at the very top of the list for the scouts and analysis bods. While Klopp was keen on other targets, it was the persistence of Hunter and Fallows in championing Salah and banging on about him that won Klopp round.

Klopp might have changed his mind, but the club had probably been very keen on Salah since the first attempt to sign him in 2014.

1 Like

Yes, that was the point I was making.

2 Likes

It aint happening :rofl:

1 Like

Mmm €150m and we need 3 new midfielders next year, let’s move on.

2 Likes

You’re the 1 that needs to move on if you think we’re bringing in 3 new midfielders.

€150m value is only an issue if he extends his contract. Without an extension his value falls by the day.

Reality is, if he does sign an extension then that’s a clear sign that he isn’t actively seeking a move to LFC.

1 Like

What’s the biggest fee ever paid for a player with two years left on his contract?

Has there ever been a sign that he’s actually seeking a move to LFC? I can’t remember anything in that regard.

1 Like

Hazard to Madrid.

Contract at Chelsea until summer 2021, signed by Madrid summer 2019.

Crazy to think he’s been there that long already.

3 Likes