Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

We haven’t put any eggs in the Bellingham basket.

We don’t know how many eggs we have.

He is not our player. If he becomes our player, we will get more clarity on the quantity of eggs flying around.

There was always going to be two possible outcomes: sign him, or don’t sign him. If we sign him, great! If we don’t, there are other good midfielders around, and we can surely sign two very good ones for the price of a Bellingham.

If we fail to do that, then let’s save some of those eggs, both for putting on our own faces, and throwing at FSG.

1 Like

There’s so much noise around Bellingham. Whether the club sign him or not is a wait and see. However, I do feel the club have placed him very near if not at the top of their list. I’m of the view, more or less it will be a failure if the club doesn’t sign him. Conjecture or not.

Mainly on here tbf

1 Like

Far too much hand wringing about this.

The first mistake was for people to follow the clickbait narratives that we want to sign him, that we’re leading the race, that he’s our number one target, when in fact nobody knows anything and are just printing what they are told to or what they’ve made up to please their editor.

The second mistake was believing the latest from Ornstein as the gospel truth and that this means we definitely aren’t signing him and for some reason by extension that we aren’t signing anybody else.

The truth is probably that we are interested in signing him and will if we can. If we can’t then presumably we have other options for the midfield and we haven’t just had people doing nothing for two years other than ringing up Dortmund asking if he’s available yet and how much they want while not speaking to any other club or agent about any other player.

2 Likes

Some seem to think Ornstein is a reliable source.

2 Likes

Jude’s gonna have to score 4 with 7 assists in his first game in Red to match the expectations of this thread.

I wish him luck.

1 Like

quoting you in full but just addressing the bit about staff walking.

IF its true, that any of our coaching staff have walked, just because we extended Milners and Hendersons contracts, then they can fuck right off.

its a ludicrous accusation when you think on it…i refuse to believe it…there may have been opposition, i can understand a voicing of opinions…but to physically quit because we extended James Milners contract, or Jordan Hendersons contract…that would be next level weird

4 Likes

Putting it politely, it bugs me that its common knowledge that he’s a target.

Nice to be shopping at the top table but I hate washing my grundies in public. It leads to 1300 post threads before an offer is made.

3 Likes

Melissa Reddy, Sky:

Liverpool’s dossier on the Jude Bellingham stretches back to his time in Birmingham’s academy and out of the sides interested in signing the midfielder, they are the club most desperate for midfield surgery.

The Merseysiders are also viewed as the side who have put in the heaviest work over a long period behind the scenes to pierce the player’s decision-making process.

However, Liverpool’s lack of on-pitch identity this season and worries over whether they will finish in the top four could be problematic and undercut their pulling power - especially considering the financial outlay required to snare Bellingham.

In terms of whether a few months of poor play will make a massive difference, ‘Team Bellingham’ is known to wade through years of research on a club to get a panorama on methodology rather than make snap decisions based on performance.

2 Likes

Ironically it was Reddy a few weeks back that said a lack of C/L football next season wasn’t going to be an issue for Jude to sign for us

1 Like

Honestly read Jude’s dads twitter, the guy is a Tory hater… I really struggle to see him advising his son to go to a sportswasher, it would go against everything he stands for as a human being.

1 Like

There will be many twists and turns.

Wouldn’t even rule out Bellingham staying at Dortmund for another year.

Whether the reports are to be believed is an open question (and personally I think the narrative is based on connecting a lot of dots that shouldnt be connected), but if they are true and the implication around them are real, then it is not only appropriate for Edwards and Graham to have walked, but completely normal.

The story was not just that a decision was made that Edwards didn’t agree with, but that the balance of the working relationship had shifted such that the voice of the famed data department was no longer being heard. This was part of a larger story about how essentially Klopp had elevated a couple of people to running little fiefdoms meaning the club was no longer operating as this harmonious collaborative entity where lots of people were bringing key perspectives into the decision making. I have lots issues with the broader narrative, but it is undeniable that both Edwards and Graham are talented, high performing individuals whose success has meant they will be in high demand should they want a change. Such people are not going to stay in the position if they feel they can no longer make an impact, and talented people leave positions when they find themselves in that position ALL THE TIME.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dortmund is leaking this to try to drive up the price for Liverpool.

Just on the Ornstein piece, this time last year he was linking Nunez with United, Chelsea & PSG without a whisper of Liverpool so take the Bellingham comment for what they are.

3 Likes

Bellingham has said he won’t sign for Liverpool because his name is too long to type in the In Match threads. He says Keita is much quicker to type when criticising players.
He is thinking of the fans.

2 Likes

Well I would take that as a positive.

I remember similar stories coming out when we were linked with Alisson. This is all part of the game now. Showmanship. Brinkmanship. Who won the transfer war etc.

If we got him and nobody else we’re in trouble next season. We need 2 cms ready to go straight into the team.

1 Like

He should be very careful about Man City. They have 100+ charges hanging over their heads. If Bellingham goes there he would be forever associated with them, in particular this era of City under Abu Dhabi, with all that entails. Whatever he won there would be met with a shoulder shrug, as it has little meaning.

On the Man City side, if I have 100+ financial charges over my head, is smashing the British transfer record in the most high profile signing of the summer the best way to beat the rap?

The Prem needs to grow a pair, and if Bellingham goes there, he should receive the disdain of the Anfield crowd, as City are truly toxic.

3 Likes

Let’s play a little football manager here. We have the money to buy and employ JB. He scores 92. For the same money, we can buy 2 x 86s.

Does anybody in their right mind put every penny on one player? We’re not in a position to add the final piece to the jigsaw because we still haven’t sorted out the damn corners.

1 Like