Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

Despite having his worst season for us, and being out of position, he still has the most goals and assists. Those are harder to replace than anything else.

4 Likes

Although a disproportional amount this season have been tap ins, compared to previous years.

I think the bigger argument is whether his general level, outside of goals, has been good enough. I’d probably argue that it hasn’t been - but he’s not alone in that category.

I have felt at times, since about February of last year that Salah has played more for himself than the team. Not quite Ronaldo levels but I’ve certainly felt that in his body language and performances. It makes me wonder if he’s not becoming a relic of our previous successes and I do wonder what Nunez and Diaz on either flank, with Gakpo linking it all up in the middle, would look like. Sounds like the revolution of the front line we have been aiming at to me.

5 Likes

He’s always had that accusation levelled at him, despite the assists that he has provided throughout his time with us, and still highest assists this season. All strikers have some selfishness but there’s a spectrum from Bobby to Ronaldo and I’d say Mo’s in the middle somewhere.

Agree that his level has clearly dropped this year.

2 Likes

Salah is the one I’d give another season to see if it’s a drop off or just everything else being poor around him etc.

Clearly he needs to play a little less and that should come with everyone being fit next year.

Even if you start to entertain Salah being sold, you need to replace him as I don’t think we don’t have a left footed attacker currently? Then you’re running the risk of losing your primary source of goals. Tough decision but I’d hold on for another season for sure, we have enough upheaval around the rest of the squad coming.

3 Likes

In my opinion, he was worse post Africa last spring than in the first part of this season. Whenever Salah leaves, gonna be very hard to find a wide attacker who can replicate the numbers he consistently provides. There are not many who can do that. We might have a different attack in mind post-Salah. We surely spent the amount we did on Nunez with the idea of him becoming our “next” main goalscorer (while also functioning at a high level while Mo is still here). I have my doubts whether the two of them can be at their peak while starting together in a Klopp XI. Plus, Gakpo might have a say in that if he continues to evolve centrally. The attack is not to be touched in the transfer market this summer, but it’s far from decided who does what also.

1 Like

Yeah but usually he has at least 5 pens to buffer his numbers.

Are we playing United first?

Unfortunately, the media noise will carry on right till the day Jude signs for whichever club he signs for.

It’s in Dortmund’s interest to extract the highest fee as possible, including consideration of how much is paid upfront. On those metrics, we are behind the likes of Real and City. But if Jude wants us and has indicated as much to Dortmund, we are still in the driving seat.

These little media titbits of non-news are going to be put to the press by any number of clubs, including us. All part of this mating dance that goes on around players, whilst also setting off fans left right and centre.

2 Likes

That’s a difficult question to answer, because I’m not sure how much FSG is willing to spend and whether there will be any sales to raise additional funds.

But overall, my belief is that the best business isn’t about the quantity or price of the players you buy, but is about the quality of them. If the club can make even a couple class signings, you have the makings of a successful window.

Bellingham is my #1 target and has been for three seasons now. For LFC, they’ve tracked him for far longer. Bringing him in alone would be a successful window.

But if that doesn’t happen, the club just needs to make the most with their transfer budget.

The truth is, this club will also need a return to form and a return to health for some players to have a successful reset for next season. It’s not all about incomings.

2 Likes

nah, his heart isn’t in it anymore…

too soon?

1 Like

Confirmation bias. I’m on board too :+1:

He’s either signing for us, or they are eloping.

Tough to tell.

Got injured by a clueless England manager last night.

Suggests to me he has already signed for us :rofl:

2 Likes

Channel 4 directly placing Jude Bellingham next to Steven Gerrard :wink:

2 Likes

3 Likes

I assume Stevie has just said to him, “Jude, la, I hope you do justice to my number eight shirt, unlike Naby la did”.

7 Likes