Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid)

There’s no way Dortmund would have let him go for less than £100m this summer. Could have been injured for half the season. Could have missed the World Cup but with his age, contract length and last seasons performance they already valued him for more than the £100m.

Well if those are the rules and there aren’t significant consequences for those breaking them then basically there’s 2-3 clubs that are going to win out in the long run.

But short term, teams can compete for periods without owner investment. We’ve done it. Dortmund are doing it in Germany this season. Lille won a league title in France a couple years back. City and PSG have less CL final appearances in their combined history than we have in the last five years, let alone wins.

Money is going to be a huge factor but we can compete in other ways. We’ve done it but somewhat lost our way. What we can’t be sure of is any new owner being willing to go toe to toe with gulf states should FSG choose to sell.

2 Likes

That’s ridiculous! If the house doesn’t want the other people then you can’t force the house into accepting them as residents.

No no, no defensive mode or anything like that, I’m merely counter arguing your opinion that no midfielder on planet earth was good enough for us to like and was available for us to get…for me that’s utter bollocks and why? Because it’s been proven, if you front up the money and negotiate you’ll get your man…happened with Virgil and Diaz who were both lined up for summer targets btw and then we acted swiftly. Now before you jump the gun and come back to me with “Oh well we shouldv’e just shown Benfica 100m for Enzo or Dortmund 150m for Jude” no I’ve never been in favour of that.

No wonder I’ve never been able to get on the housing ladder if houses are able to choose who can buy them :slightly_frowning_face:

Just saying what Pearce reported.

1 Like

I never really believed that we had a clear chance, but our current rotten season has definitely put us out of contention, that much is clear.

I hope you’re right of course, but my take is that it will eventually go down the CAS route, with the same result.

2 Likes

I agree again with you. But in order to keep doing this, you need a special manager like a Klopp, who can rinse every single bit out of the players he has available while molding the diamonds in the rough. The other leagues you mentioned cannot be compared with the PL for the simple fact that competition in those leagues is not as good and there is like one state owned or one money team (bayern in germany and Psg in france) in those leagues, while we have at least three and counting. Bayern is not state owned but the germans jus run their league very well

Re: the price. I don’t think it was the WC that has adjusted the price. It was more to do with the stupid money that Chelsea spent on Enzo (a one season wonder + WC winner). His fee was 3x his previous fee, after a good year.

1 Like

That’s not my opinion. That’s my assessment of the clubs opinion.

It’s already been clear that it won’t go to CAS. This is the Premier League asserting it own rules. CAS have no jurisdiction.

Which you believe to be true or not? If not then what are we debating…

And who owns the club?

1 Like

This is why it needs to be stopped. The money Chelsea were throwing around wasn’t just bad for them, it was hugely damaging for football. The price Chelsea paid for Enzo obviously had an impact on what Dortmund feel they can demand for Jude.

I’ve been of the opinion for some time now that football needs saving from itself.

1 Like

It may not even be that - city and Real have so much cash they can just offer substantially more than us simply to push us out the running.

2 Likes

Annnnnd we have a winner.

If Dortmund really were that bothered by what Chelsea paid for Enzo, they’d have a right to ask 260m for Jude nevermind half that. Jude is valued at what he is by his club & that’s all because of Jude. Benfica demanding 105m for Enzo was unreasonable, Dortmund demanding 130m for Jude is not. I don’t think PSG look at what Dortmund sold Haaland to City for and think “Oh shit, now we need to undercut our initial value of Mbappe by 100m”

ok folks… i have wasted enough hrs (time i will never get back) of my life on this crap. Im done… see you all next monday for the leeds game…off to the beach.

7 Likes

I’m trying to understand why the club have done this and what has happened. I’m not interested in having a strop about about the owners.

I’ve been really clear that I think we should have bought a midfielder last summer. But we didn’t.

Now, we can all stamp out feet about that and this place can be no different to Twitter and you tube, but I think there is a much more interesting conversation about why certain decisions were made. What has been going on? The starting point for that is obvious good faith, so if you think FSG, Klopp or the staff at LFC are thick idiots then were obviously starting from the wrong place.

3 Likes

I think it is a fact universally acknowledged in football that Erling Haaland did not cost £60m.

Also while Dortmund are asking for £135 up front we don’t know what add on they are asking for. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are more likely to be achieved than not, and put the cost well past £150m. We don’t know whether they want to fee upfront or will accept staggered payments.

There is more to a transfer fee than the headline number.

1 Like