Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool Legend

Jürgen will take the role of ‚Global Head of Soccer’ for Red Bull from January.

https://x.com/Plettigoal/status/1843894269838336061

7 Likes

Surprising. And disappointing.

4 Likes

Why?

Had he stayed in any sort of capacity at Liverpool or FSG, the new manager would have been pussing shit up hill from day 1 as they would have had Klopp ever present shadow hanging over them.

Remember Moyes replacing Ol’ Whisky Nose at Utd and never got a chance to get his feet firmly planted as Fergie was always there in the background. So Klopp having a full clean break is best for everyone, especially Slot.

10 Likes

I think this makes sense. It’s a much lower stress position and keeps him involved in football in Germany. I thought the comment about a possible Nagelsmann successor was more telling. That sounds like conversations have already been made with the DFB.

8 Likes

The only thing in his bucket list is a stint as the national team manager.

Whats he expected to do in the meantime ?

This job keeps him in the football scene, enables him to scout coaches / coaching styles and also keeping tabs on players.

All the while without taking the front seat.

5 Likes

I can’t speak for @StanSB , but I was also disappointed to read that Jurgen has taken this post. Aren’t RedBull just another sportswashing project? It’s just that they are legitimising shitty energy drinks, not petrodollars.

6 Likes

Yes, I meant it that way.

4 Likes

Imagine falling in love with a German team, let’s say Eintracht Frankfurt, FC Köln, Borussia Dortmund. Then Klopp comes, takes your team to the greatest heights, builds a legend-like reputation, leaves in good accordance with everyone at the club and its fans. And then takes a job for City or Chelsea a year later…

1 Like

From a purely selfish point of view, I’d be a bit happy if Liverpool was his last club football management role.

9 Likes

Why?

He’s doing everything to get his energy back.

9 Likes

This decision has been received very poorly by many here in Germany, and is absolutely disappointing from a human perspective because he certainly had all doors open to him and then he ends up at this dirty club, Red Bull.

7 Likes

I can understand why Germans aren’t happy with Klopp’s decision.

Red Bull is almost as despised as Bayern is.

2 Likes

The difference here though, is he isn’t going there as the manager, he is running the Global Football department, so will oversee 5 clubs in Europe, US and South America.

Sounds to me, like an opportunity within football that is almost non existant outside of Red Bull and Cheaty (now had he done a similar role within Cheaty Football Group I would definitely be pissed)

2 Likes

You’ve got to look at it from the German POV. Its difficult for us to really fathom how RB are despised in Germany.

Jurgen had the opportunity to work for almost any club. He could have gone back to Mainz or Dortmund too.

2 Likes

There is a poll on Kicker asking whether he is selling his soul and there are loud voices asking him to please give back his Federal Order of Merit. No, it is not well received here.

5 Likes

But he isn’t working for a club. He is working for the collective of multiple clubs around the world. And he is going to have less hands on in the day-2-day stuff and not have to deal with dickhead reporters from the media.

The closest comparisson I can think of here would be someone running a independant clothing shop, and then getting approached to run Nike’s European business.

2 Likes

I share the disappointment of some. Red Bull are a sportswashing project and are currently undermining football in various countries. So, it’s a bit annoying to see him linked with that at higher-level status within that organization.

Then again, we naively tend to expect from our heroes, players and managers alike, to be morally impeccable, but the truth is that at top level in football, nobody is, and that certainly applies to Klopp as well.

I remember always being a bit taken aback by his stupid advertisements while he was with us, for Opel or whatever. Thinking that this guy earned already way beyond his and his families needs, and asking myself why on earth he’d feel the need to lose his time this kind of things.

The truth is that preserving a moral compass isn’t a thing in football, not even for Klopp. And that is disappointing indeed.

1 Like

Sportswashing for what?

Big difference to what the oil states do.

5 Likes

I do think it’s a good decision from Jurgen.

But I do not have the same hatred for RB that people in Germany have.

Would it have been better if Klopp had chosen a different club to work for ? Probably.

As @cynicaloldgit said, legitimizing and promoting their drinks through football. It’s not at the same level as Abu Dhabi and others, but it still undermines the traditional culture of a league with independent clubs who play for a title. Especially in Germany, where they have trampled over the 50+1 rule.

1 Like