Jurgen Klopp quotes

Reviving the Klopp quotes thread, one of my favourites on the TIA forum (the link: https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/jurgen-klopp-quotes.18552/). It would be good to copy and paste the quotes we assembled from over there. I’ll make a start.

Day one at LFC:

“If a player doesn’t want to come to Liverpool then stay away. Really. If you think about the weather, stay away. If you think about other things, stay away. If you want to come here you are welcome.”

“If you have the ball you have to be creative but you have to be prepared that if you lose the ball the counter-pressing is very important. It is very important in football. It is not a proposal, it is law. You have to do it and you will. "

5 Likes

“I am not the guy who is going to go out and shout, ‘We are going to conquer the world!’ or something like this. Will we conquer the ball. Yeah? Each. Fucking. Time.”

6 Likes

On Arsenal / Arsene Wenger:

“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. I like heavy metal.”

3 Likes

“My problem is I’m very ugly!”

Turns to s#n reporter: “I see you have the same problem!”

2 Likes

“Mourinho says I speak too much? That’s what one of my teachers used to tell me. I don’t care, I don’t think about this.” Asked whether this was mind games, Klopp added: “I’m not intelligent enough to understand what it should be. But it’s no problem, now I’ll shut up, and everything is okay.”

After that, Dortmund beat Real Madrid in the CL semi-final.

2 Likes

“The best players in the world today are around already. What I enjoy more is trying to identify the best players of tomorrow.”

2 Likes

“It doesn’t matter who you are when you come, it’s what you are when you leave that counts.”

4 Likes

“I can’t walk on water like Jesus but I do like to dive in.”

3 Likes

Asked whether Liverpool could attract a player of the calibre of Marco Reus without Champions League football, having failed to entice several targets during Rodgers’ reign, Klopp replied:

“I absolutely don’t care about this.

“If we cannot sign a player like him then we are not interested in him. We will have to take other players. The whole world plays football, there are players everywhere."

4 Likes

“I was relieved after the (first) press conference,” he continued. “I have talked a lot of nonsense in my life – but not in English!”

1 Like

“As a player I had fifth division skills and a first division brain. The result was a second division footballer.”

4 Likes

On England’s Football Association (FA) regarding Rossiter’s injury after 3 full matches in 5 days in qualifying for the Under-19 European Championship:

“These young players are our future. If we handle them like horses we get horses."

1 Like

"This is my first time as manager of Liverpool for a game at Anfield and it is something that will be very important for me and my staff.

You [the fans] have a vital role to play in what we are looking to achieve. You are a very special group of supporters and the atmosphere you create is unique.

I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things.

"We must all stay together and look to enjoy the experience of following such a great club.

Football should be about joy and fun and that must be reflected throughout the entire organisation.

The team will go out and battle for you and look to represent you, the club and the city in how we approach our work: this is my commitment."

(October 2015)

3 Likes

“Jose Mourinho is a nice guy if you aren’t a journalist or a referee.”

2 Likes

Klopp talking about Bayern:

“They’re like the Chinese in business: they see what other people are doing and copy it – just with more money.”

3 Likes

“I don’t read newspapers but everyone tells me: ‘You want to buy this player, this player, this player’. But development is to work with the players you have. It’s like if you have a problem with your wife, you don’t want to change every day!”

(something worthy to remember right now! :+1:t2:)

2 Likes

“Sometimes I feel I’m the only one in this country who believes in training, all others believe in transfers.”

3 Likes

“For me if you are in a club together with the supporters then you should be if not as a family then as a group of best friends.”
“For this everybody has to play their role, do their job and all these things. The fans are very important, very important.”
“We can’t do what we have to do in the best way without the supporters, I think everybody knows this.”
“But then in the other way, we know what we have to do and then it is easier for them to give us support during a game.”

1 Like

After the Norwich game (January 2016) Jürgen Klopp told the press afterward, after his glasses had been crushed during wild celebrations:

"I have a second pair of glasses but I can’t find them.
It’s really difficult looking for glasses without glasses".

2 Likes

“I am not the cleverest, but I love the challenge. When I was younger I thought I had no chance to be part of professional football.

“I wanted to study medicine. I wanted to help people. I like to change things and help if it’s possible. It’s a hard way to go."