Virgil VAN DIJK: 2020/21

I’m seeing some doomsday about Virgil’s age and speculating if he can come back the “same player”. How about we look no further than our own Ingsy as an example. He’s 28, had 2 ACL surgeries and looks better than he ever has. Our Virgil faces a challenging rehabilitation, but the precedent is there he will be back as strong as ever. :heart:

17 Likes

I’ve seen numerous angles of that tackle and every one of them looks horrendous which brings me to my mini rant on what we know as VAR.

To be clear I’m not against VAR. Quite the opposite, I want it in the game but the system in PL is an utter screw up by another set of fucked up cronies who think they can reinvent the wheel. The VvD / Pickford incident highlights the massive systemic failure of the system which basically boils down to no one being in charge. As soon as VAR springs into life all responsibility that normally resides with the ref shifts to a numpty 200 miles away. That is simply wrong.

Taking yesterdays example, Oliver blows up suspecting a foul on VvD. VAR gets involved to check an offside which immediately takes the responsibility away from Oliver and the focus on the foul is immediately lost. This is because the fuckwits in power decided that this was the best way of implementing VAR instead of following the lead of other sports such as rugby where the system has been implemented with little controversy in both codes.

The solution is simple. Sort the offside rule but more importantly put all responsibility with the referee. He asks for checks, VAR can also advise whether a check is needed as should the linesmen (they didn’t chime in yesterday either, a penny for his thoughts!). They work together but the referee has the final say. If necessary the referee checks on the screen. It’s not difficult, it works, and you get the decision from one person.

I’m still pissed this which is completely out of character for me, even on the odd occasion when England beat Wales on the rugby pitch.

6 Likes

What do you expect from a shower of shit that haven’t won a trophy since 1995.

this is a trophy to them, they’re twisted freaks

7 Likes

Get well soon VVD, I hope the club doesn’t rush him back after the surgery. He’s pretty much done for the season. We need him for the another 5yrs marshalling our back line. I think the club already started on finding another CB yesterday. I’m just hoping they don’t cheap out and buy a squad player rather than a starter CB. We have cash to burn since the club is so well run.
The boss will have to adjust the way we defend now especially Crosses and from SetPieces. Without VVD we’ll be very vulnerable from high balls.
I’m still confident we’re gonna challenge for the title. VVD was a huge loss, but I don’t think is enough to sink this steam boat.
The league needs to hand out some suspensions to Those two players that act so recklessly. There has to be justice, otherwise the next time these two teams meet, there’s gonna be he’ll to pay.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

YNWA
SPEEDY RECOVERY VVD👍

1 Like
1 Like

This too shall pass. Some Jurgen Klopp classics -

10 Likes

As usual, Hendo’s words are perfect: “We’ll leave others to explain it.”

6 Likes
7 Likes

Hendo is going to end up the best CB in the league after Matip. That’s your point, right?

4 Likes

On the flip side though, Ings was never a guy whose game was built around his physical attributes. VvD is a nightmare central defender, because he is big, and he is fast. He is faster than any forward his size I can think of, bigger than any forward notably faster than him, and for most opponents, he is both bigger and faster. That is not to take away from his game reading and other attributes, but his pace is almost unique in footy for a man that size.

2 Likes

YNWA

10 Likes

Depressing news. From a moment of total shithousery too.
Hopefully he recovers quickly but it will be next season at best before we see him return.
Hopefully the Club will recruit in January.

3 Likes

I’m gutted for the big man, really was a horror challenge… YNWA Virgil, come back stronger, refreshed. 78 games in a row, we will miss you.

But, these days I’m always glass half full… Klopp made me believe…

And out of the back of this has to be players stepping up out of his shadow… Matip, Gomez, Fabinho…

And not just that a team spirit and will to win to go back to the fuck the world mentality which made us great. We had become lax, lazy, arrogant… There is no time for that now, everyone will write us off once more… At their perile… O how silly of them…

7 Likes

I think this may be the impetus to move away from the high line to some degree, and re-introduce some gegenpress style pressure.

15 Likes

So in the transfer window we took a risk with not replacing Lovren.

Now VVD is our for the season (it will be there or there abouts) and we have Gomez (who has been shocking lately) and Matip as only senior centre backs.

At this moment in time, with the way we’ve been playing, minus VVD, if you offer me 4th place plus I’d snap your hands off.

1 Like

I doubt anyone replacing Lovren would have got a game before Fab anyways. And such a long term injury is definitely hard to predict. We’ll improvise, Klopp is capable enough to see us through till Jan and then we’ll assess and if need be we’ll get someone.

2 Likes

This fucking sucks.

Get well, big fella.

5 Likes

am ACL is 9 months.

Isn’t that what Ox had?

The Lovren replacement could have partnered Fab, not replaced him.

At this moment in time Gomez is on a shocker and If Matip makes it to Christmas without getting another injury I’ll be amazed.

Anyway, fingers crossed but as I said this is worst case scenario.

2 Likes

If Matip makes it to next weekend, I’ll be stunned!!

7 Likes

Wonder if there is an decent CB available in a free?

2 Likes