Ki-Jana Hoever (CB/RB) to Wolves

Highly unlikely this lad would have had a significant impact on the first team for a few years.Better for him if he’s sold on as his chances of making it at a decent level will increase with regular first team game time which he has a better chance of getting at Wolves.Good luck to him,hopefully he makes it.We may even see him back playing for us some day.

I’m disappointed as I like him a lot and had hopes of him evolving into a defensive jack of all trades able to cover both FB positions and CB but had a feeling DM may turn into his main position. But in all fairness it’ll be a couple of years before he would get significant game time in these areas and he’s probably too developed for the u23s. Still I would have preferred him agreeing a new five year contract with the first two years on loan somewhere. Wolves are perfect for him though. Their three at the back negates his physicality issues of playing at CB and couple of years in that system he’ll probably be ready to be a starter in a 2 CB defence at a top side, maybe even us if we find ourselves needing someone. Meanwhile it helps our reputation as a great place for young players. Get chances, develop under best people in the game for it, but we won’t stand in your way if we can’t use you.

1 Like

As others have said, though it is sad to see a young player leave as we all love the romance of youth players breaking into the first team, I don’t think he had much of a shot at carving out a first team place here. It is far better to let him move somewhere where he’ll get more chances. Look at Connor Coady now for example.

1 Like
5 Likes

Not sure if there were sell on clauses for Hoever. But still amazing bit of business.

15% all-in clause

Promising youngsters could be categorised into two broad categories:

1. Willing to wait and fight for a place in the first team
    The likes of TAA, Williams, Jones fall under this category. Maybe even Foden from Man City, Abraham and Mount from Chelsea. They know that the standard of the first team is very high, but are willing to bide their time, work hard with the seniors and take their chances as they come.

2. Willing to take a punt at another club for regular first team football
    The likes of Brewster, Sancho, and Bobby Duncan fall under this category. Not a dig on them by any means, but they would prefer to be playing on a regular basis instead of bidding for their chance. Ki Jana Hoever probably falls under this group.

Either route does not guarantee a clear path to success. The aptitude, and more importantly, the attitude of the individual is still key in realising his full potentially.

Sad that Liverpool would be losing a promising player. Hopefully, instead of feeling resentful, Hoever sees this transfer as a positive sign from the club to allow him to realise his aspirations. Would be following his career path in the next few years to see he indeed fulfils his promise.

1 Like

Good Luck Ki…Wish him well…

Gutted to see him go, I’m convinced he’s going to be a brilliant player.

Maybe there is an ideological difference in what klopp/team wanted and Hoever wanted. Nonetheless, its a surprise move. Him, Sepp and Billy the kid looked like a solution (in 2 years) to our CB problems(Lovren/Matip eternal injury fiasco).

Not yet he isn’t. Gets caught out a lot and commits silly fouls.

Is he the lad who played right back against Blackpool in 2nd half?
If so I thought he looked very good.

He and Hoever are pretty similar in that regard, they both make lots of errors (expected, they’re 18/19). I would say Williams makes more technical errors, like a heavy touch or poor pass whereas Ki makes more mental errors - switching off at corners,not tracking runners, getting caught in possession.

They’ll both sort it out and both be very good players.

6 Likes
5 Likes

The biggest difference between the two categories you identified, and a difference you overlooked, is the willingness of the manager to play them.

1 Like
1 Like

Good look.

It seemed out of the nowhere initially but the more info that comes out the more sense it makes.

After all, when Ki-Jana was making his debut v Wolves in the FA cup, did we even know who Neco Williams was?

So if he does consider himself a RB, this is no surprise since he’s clearly been passed by Neco since then.

Unfortunate for LFC tho, because had he wanted to be a CB, I think he could have been molded and paired with Koumetio to be the future there.

1 Like