Ligue Un discussion

Have they sacked Ponchettino? Or does he just stick around in the background.

Summer of 2023, still no CL (maybe not even a domestic double): new coach, new director, new everything.

1 Like

Mbappeā€™s really cleaning house.

Wont count for much if he cannot shift Neymar. Or brings in some chopper who can take him out in an off the ball incident some time around Feb, just before the KO rounds of the CL start.

2 Likes

Be interesting to see if any club cuts their manager for Ponchettino. Probably only Arsenal and thatā€™s not happening.

Gini Wijnaldum named Ligue 1 'Flop of the Year' after PSG free transfer - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfieldā€™.

Poor guy but was expected after seeing him warming the bench more than the pitch.

@Flobs I thought Bordeaux is relegated to Ligue 2 (second tire), or am I missing something?

I assume if they canā€™t guarantee all their games they are demoted to the national. They went down from Ligue Un last season.

Yes they won relegation. This further demotion is due to their finances. The DNCG have decided they are far too deep in debt so demote them. It will be challenged, however Bordeaux need to find funds and quickly. I said they got a bad deal with their ā€˜newā€™ owners.
Saint Etienne look like they are going the same way. You really have to be careful over ownership imo.
The fans must be going nuts.
The financial situation of French football in general is dire. It seems that Nantes for example, who spent a long time in the 2nd tier have dealt with these financial woes much better than the other ā€˜famousā€™ teams and those like Rennes who are challenging from lowly status are fairing much better as they have immense rigour in their financial approach.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not going compare like to like but France and I believe some Dutch teams have faced financial issues, if the PL had null and voided the impact on TV would have been much worse. Though the PL is a behemoth in comparison itā€™s worth remembering that with those cnuts who were shouting for it.

1 Like

Bit of an odd one, Igor Tudor is the new head coach of Marseille.

2 Likes

Any relation to Henry of?

Listened to Galtierā€™s presser at PSG, I thought he spoke really well.

Also mentioned that they might change the focus to a formation of 3 at the back.

Galtier and Campos in are hires that point to a change in direction towards real football. A tactical blue print to be followed and players being brought in who can follow it. But as long as Neymar is there nothing will really change.

1 Like

Players not going to PSGā€™s pre-season tour in Japan and allowed to try and find new clubs:

Rico, Diallo, Kurzawa, Ebimbe, Gueye, Herrera, Wijnaldum, Rafinha, Draxler, Icardi.

Hard to see all 10 of them find new solutions, but IF it would happen, it would leave PSG currently with 17 senior players. Of course, they might/probably will still bring a few new faces in, plus there might be some new young players to fill a few gaps.

Galtier announced that looking at the current whole first team squad, he feels thereā€™s too much players and first wants to trimm that number.

Will be interesting to see how they end this summer window.

1 Like

Geezā€¦ going from being an absolute mainstay in our midfield (we still havenā€™t fully replaced his energy and consistency imo) to being an outcast from a relatively shit PSG side, all this within a yearā€¦ he must bitterly regret his move.

1 Like

The lad got sent off after 9 seconds. :rofl: :rofl:

Based on the one replay and one angle that I saw, we can at least be confident that there is a league with worse referees than the Premier League. :+1:

1 Like

Ramos sent off for 2 yellows in the space of 30 seconds, both for getting in the refā€™s face and not being able to shut his mouthā€¦love that from the ref.

You can be as experienced if you want, if you canā€™t be matured on the pitch youā€™ll be sent off for juvenile things.

1 Like