Liverpool Coaching Staff

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta attempted to convince Pep Lijnders to join him as his number two.

“Mikel Arteta had asked me to be his assistant manager when he was preparing for his new step into management. We were together years earlier on the Pro Licence course. His request came out of nothing.”

“Imagine the assistant of Pep Guardiola and the assistant of Jurgen Klopp at Arsenal. What a crazy thought. Mikel said he felt: ‘There was just a difference playing Liverpool before and after you came in.’ This was the biggest compliment I ever got from somebody.”

“I politely said no to him. A few months later, we won the title for the first time in 30 years.”

2 Likes

Pre ordered his book other day. Can’t wait. Runs through each day like a diary I think

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Heads up for anyone in the UK, I found Pep Ljinders book in Sainsburys for a tenner.

1 Like

I try to read every book that’s ever written about LFC so I will get round to it eventually. My price is £1.99. Don’t get me wrong I think our coaching team is the best in the world and Ljinders in particular obviously plays a big part in our success but the bits I’ve seen so far from this book are achingly pretentious.

1 Like

Well anyone who does wish to get it slightly cheaper…

Does anyone know if we have a replacement for him yet? Is there perhaps even a connection between our many injuries (mainly muscular problems) and his departure? At least it seems our injuries have increased since he left. But maybe it’s just a coincidence.

3 Likes

Good news

Not going to lie, since Pep wandered around the club giving out a book called Intensity which basically described our tactical set up we’ve been a bit shit… Lesson to be learnt, wait till you retire and release a bloody book.

1 Like

Or maybe it’s just fans looking for every single minor thing to take issue with?

4 Likes

Imagine having an opinion… On an online footie forum… Imagine that…

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Are you… Taking an issue with my opinion about your opinion… On an online footie forum?

Strangely having read it, it’s put me at ease about us, he is a bit pretentious but I’m not sure you’d get much out of what we do especially if you knew us. It’s good to see what we work on though and the issues around games when it hasn’t worked for us.

Knowing Liverpool do a hundred and one rondos isn’t the reason we have 8 points.

I know they will be working hard to put it right to be honest, that’s what I took from the book, the other was the way the players approached pre season and probably the issue lies in the short version. Not that they rectified that but the issue kicked in slightly later last season.

1 Like

No, I’m responding to another of your troll type posts where you pick up on any sort of criticism of the team. The forum is littered as such with them. I remember why I put you on ignore, I’ll not forget again.

1 Like

Can you expand on that? I have my views based on my personal experience and understanding of the science of physical preparation, but I havent got insights from anything they have said about their approach to it.

It was a bit tongue in cheek mate, can’t have any sort of laugh these days.

But yes as you said, we started last season poorly and a few tweaks by Jurgen and we started to fly. I trust we’ll do the same, especially with players coming back.

My only concern this season from the coaching staff is we don’t seem prepared i.e. all the injuries, and early fatigue. I think something went wrong in our prep. Clearly as someone else pointed out it could be trying to end the season strongly (as last season we faded) but still seems like we got the balance wrong this time around.

They were talking about the intensity of games and trying to recreate that and how they were able to actually spend time with the lads before jetting off. I think the issue was that first part they missed that fitness section, as they were off to Asia as soon as they got back.

1 Like

Good riddance!