Liverpool FC - Pre-season

We did look a bit stale in the attack at times during the latter part of Klopp’s tenure. Hoping that Slot can get in some new ideas to the lads both on getting into better goal scoring positions as well as provide the likes of Nunez better guidance on how to play to his best level.

Looks increasingly likely that we are going to be playing with a #10. It’s probably a better position for three midfielders (Dom/Elliot/Carvalho)

We still would require a good DM who’s good at recieving the ball under pressure.

Maybe , there’s a plan in place to ensure that Mac/Gravenberch recieve the ball and then plays it forward (when we start playing from the back) and Endo plays at more of a DM position when it comes to winning the ball. Interchanging positions etc.

Not really sure Jones can play the ball quickly enough to slot into a Mac role. He seems to take a lot of time in his decision making.

Either way , relying on Endo and Bajcetic to fulfill the DM role would be risky.

3 Likes

It should be Mac/Endo as a double pivot of sorts.

Carvalho will see minutes if he sticks with us this season both as a #10 and also a false 9. Depending on which of the other attackers play along side him

If Diaz and Mo are on the pitch alongside him , I can see Carvalho playing a sort of a Bobby lite #9 if needed.

If Jota/Nunez/Mo are leading the attack , he can drop into that Coutinho position on the left side of the pitch) as a #8-#10 hybrid.

I don’t think Carvalho is anywhere near good enough for the Bobby role too lightweight and doesn’t protect the ball good enough, more likely a Gakpo role, although we may see a change in the CF role when Nunez is available.

Also, I don’t feel Endo has shown enough to be a double pivot when we have the ball, that is where I am intrigued to see what Slot does, Jones has the ability on the ball but doesn’t see the pass quick enough.

1 Like
1 Like

I am really warming to him and his tactics very hands on he knows what he is doing and where the team needs to go, a lot cleverer than ETH. I hope he gets one over him at the weekend.

6 Likes

https://x.com/LFC/status/1818830509289750878
https://x.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1818917109621010535

3 Likes
2 Likes

That is a very odd accent :joy:

It’s Scouse but it looks like someone posh putting it on.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-GDx4ZNkEo/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==

1 Like

How was The Linc for footy? It seemed cramped from the edge lines…while it seems expansive for Eagles’ games.

I want to see a Gravenberch - Szoboszlai double pivot. Gravenberch is not a typical DM, but if we look back at Slot’s recent DM, Wieffer, I think they have a lot in common. Both are tall, have long legs, are good with their feet, and can drive the ball forward. Wieffer also didn’t play DM before Slot. With both fullbacks tending to hold their positions rather than bomb forward, our midfield will have more license to roam. I think Gravenberch is really suitable for this role.

1 Like

Well damn, Arne even more outspokenly ruthless than I thought.

“Winning matters even in pre-season”
“Second half not according to plan”
“No young players stood out unlike Betis”
“Harvey nice assists but buck up your ideas in other promising positions”

Not word for word but that’s what it sounded like.

4 Likes

Could tell the intensity of some of the stuff in the first half that message was being drilled in.

1 Like

\Will be interesting to see Gravenberch have a go in that role. Don’t like Curtis there, too many silly errors.

From what I’ve seen, the bombing forward of full backs is back (compared to the last 2 Klopp seasons). They all have freedom to progress with (and without) the ball - but its not being done at break neck speed - Slot wants control and to take time. I like this mixing up of this. Bradley looks good there, and we no Trent can do it, on the other side, Kostas showed what he is good at yest, and bad at. Robbo can hopefully get the system right.

Without the ball, the shape in the defensive third is clear, with the full backs and double pivots being straight back into their shape.

1 Like

Get the feeling that “complacency” is not a word in Arne Slot’s vocabulary…in ANY language.

3 Likes

I like it.

May be quicker to go through the words that are.

Energy.
ENergy
ENERgy
ENERGY
ENERGY OR ELSE!!!

Then the same thing just this time with the phrase pass the ball.

A little bit cramped, yes. But the turf was good and they kept it going with frequent watering…
I thought it kept very well especially compared to the livestock fields at the Copa

2 Likes

Seemed a good set up to be fair

Could be wrong but my sense is that we could have a rotating cast of players in these roles, subject of course to the specific demands of a given opponent.

I think we tend to look at specific things where the manager may be defining things with a broader brush.