Liverpool FC - Pre-season

I do his performances have been the most impressive for me alongside Bradley

1 Like

Is the friendly against Sevilla going to be on TV anywhere or just LFCTV?

I normally only bother with friendlies unless they are on free somewhere but Iā€™d curious about this one as it will be Slotā€™s first Anfield game.

Are we playing two games in one day?

Says Sevilla at 1230, and Las Palmas at 5pm, both on the 11 Aug.

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s right. Second game is behind closed doors. :nerd_face:

1 Like

We could do with the money too.

Whereā€™s the US tour money ? John ?

1 Like
1 Like

https://x.com/KM_243_/status/1821976854733226280

3 Likes

Seems like weā€™ve been working on that byline cut back. Man City and Arsenal have been doing that a lot for years but itā€™s never really been part of our game.

2 Likes

First training video Iā€™ve watched. Robbo is such a great character. Weā€™ll miss him so much when his time here is done.

Other observation- Ibouā€™s press ups are the worst Iā€™ve ever seen

5 Likes

You made me teary :cry:

2 Likes

Right after the Gomez rondo was a second player who did a back heel and didnā€™t go in the middle, so I donā€™t think that is a rule. Perhaps a condition of a certain rondo but not a strict no.

1 Like

Basically itā€™s a method so I donā€™t see whatā€™s wrong. Maybe what he wants to weed out is showboating or doing those things unnecessarily so coaching those habits out?

1 Like

Noticed Slot eating by himself.

#SlotNoMates

3 Likes

Canā€™t wait for the Sun to run the ā€œSlot loses dressing roomā€ headlines.

And surely it should be Arnie No Mates? :thinking:

1 Like

Drills are a means to an end. As it says in the piece, he is focusing on a better body position when receiving the ball so they are already facing (or at least half facing) the direction in which they want to play the ball. If you are left having to resort to a flick or backheel it means you havenā€™t got yourself into the correct body position quickly enough. Itā€™s just a drill though, something to put emphasis on something they are working on. It doesnā€™t mean he has issues with tricks any more than a coach who does a 1 touch drill has an issue with a player taking 2 or more touches in game situations.

As @Sweeting there was a time when Gomez wasnt penalized for it so it suggests it wasnt the sole focus. Often with these drills youā€™ll see the restrictions ramped up or down as they go on, so they might start with no restrictions, progress to one touch after a short while, then back to two two touch but with no flicks and so on.

2 Likes

Its definitely interesting watching these videos now. Iā€™ve recently become Head Coach of a HS team and I automatically reverted back to running drills that I was taught growing up and then trying to adapt some professional training sessions.

They went fine but as Iā€™ve started to dig deeper Iā€™m changing my perspective on what my role is as a coach. Listening to the Liverpool County FA podcast has been incredibly helpful in modernising my approach.

My first pre-season as coach starts in a couple of weeks and Iā€™ve already completely changed what I wanted to do since coaching the same group in the summer.

Rondos like the one being seen here and that theyā€™ve incorrectly assumed that backheels are ā€œbannedā€ are a foundational tool but also a good place to introduce restrictions and rewards as ways of getting players to do what the coach wants.

Professional players will do a lot more of the strict tactical side than I will do with an U18 team of course but I would not be surprised if that rondo was building towards a bigger game with a rule in it that was aided by players not doing flicks etc.

In case anyone is wondering my main focus for coaching now will be to increase autonomy and enjoyment for the players, which I hope will encourage them to stick with the sport and not bleed away to the more established Field Hockey program at the school. Rather than ā€œcoachingā€ them in a traditional sense Iā€™m going to be largely basing my efforts on creating game scenarios that push or encourage players to think about the game as puzzle they have to solve. Theyā€™ll figure out their own solutions because of the scenario created for them.

15 Likes

Best of luck with the new position.

As you say, making the game enjoyable is key to retaining youngsters; repetitive drills wonā€™t do that.

Get them to think about that puzzle, as you say, and come up with creative solutions; much more fun than dem laps.

6 Likes

Nah, Slot rhymes closer wit got, so SlotNotMates sounds close enough to got no mates

The saying is ā€œBilly No Matesā€, so ā€œArnie No Matesā€ sounds far better.

1 Like