Liverpool FC - Pre-season

Might also been in the Naby deal and a friendly at their stadium was not yet possible because of the pandemic :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Confirmed

2 Likes

It’s now confirmed that we play City in the Community Shield, right?

1 Like

I believe so - they will be our opponents either as PL runners up or winners since we won the cup.

I think we played them a couple years ago after they did the double under the same rule.

4 Likes

Won the title that season as well :wink:

2 Likes

Indeed; the rule is that if a team does the double, whoever finishes runner-up in the league will play.

3 Likes

2021-22 finale: May 28
Various NT games: till June 14
ASEAN tour: July 12
2022-23 starts: Aug 6

Charity shield I assume is a week before the season as usual.

So yeah hardly a break.

1 Like

No tournament this summer. That’s great.

That’s because there’s a world cup in the winter.

Yes but feels like ages since ALL players came back fresh and pretty much at the same time from the summer break.

I feel like we are barely going to see any first team players until the final week of pre-season. The likes of Jones, Elliott, Gomez etc sure they’ll be back fairly early but everyone else is probably going to get a nice long break.

2 Likes

There’s the UEFA Nations League too - Four for each nation in June;

Trent’s in the England squad, Hendo misses out
Spain - Thiago’s got a call up
Netherlands - no squad list I can see yet, but assume Virgil goes
Scotland - have to play Ukraine yet, then their nationals league games
Portugal - Jots probably in the squad

AFCON qualifiers are on too - Senegal, Guinea and Egypt all play twice in June.
Brazil and Columbia have friendlies coming up too.

Still, they should be relatively fresh - but I’d expect a bit of a trickle back for some.

2 Likes

Don’t think we will go to the ASEAN tour without too many regular players. So some of them will get around three weeks break.

Japan and Egypt have friendlies too. Kelleher, Neco, and Tsimikas will be involved in the NL too.

1 Like

We will be playing City in the Community Shield on July 31st 17:15h at King Power Stadium.

Why the King Power? Thought Villa Park might the nod, it’s like the FA really are clueless, if you are going by train you have to go in and out of Leicester to enter the mainline.

That’s rather convenient for me but not very for local fans of either club.

Why not Wembley or even Old Trafford?

1 Like

And then the KP is quite a long walk from the train station too. At least 30 minutes as I remember it.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s about it mind you 32k as well how many tickets will fans actually get. Also 5.15pm on a Sunday, I’m sure it used to be 4.30pm.

At least out of Birmingham it would be pretty routine travel home.

I finished my degree in 2014 but I lived just off Welford Road, basically halfway between the stadium and the train station. It’s definitely a bit of a mission. Tough walk if your not in at least decent shape as there is a big hill coming out of the KP and back towards Welford Road. Also the complication of both Nelson Mandela Park - where I used to train when I played American Football - and Victoria Park, which is well known for its violent assults on female students as they emerge drunk from the SU, standing right in the middle of stadium and train station (me and my roommates once “saved” a girl who had fallen asleep, blind drunk, on a park bench there… not the place to fall asleep as a female in Leicester but we got her home in one piece).

Hopefully everyone is on their best behaviour.

Not sure where the Birmingham stadium in relation to the station but at least you could have seperated Liverpool/Manchester bound fans. Leicester is a bit of a shit location for that - everyone is going to be going back to Birmingham which means all fans on the same platform and train.

1 Like