Liverpool Season: 2021-22

Don’t think an English team will come so close to win the quadruple in this decade again.

2 Likes
3 Likes

24 shots, but only three I can remember that were any good, and three brilliant saves.

1 Like

I’m less disappointed by the way the season has ended than with how people will still perceive these lads as not good enough for the highest of honours or Klopp as perennial runner-up. For Klopp specifically, it’s the third Champions League final he’s lost in his career and I’m sure it will weigh on his mind.

That said, I’d rather lose a Champions League final than a dead rubber Premier League game that only confirms the team’s mid-table status and keeps us out of it for at least another year. Same goes for Premier League - I’d rather be second by a point and keep the season alive until the very last minute than sixth or seventh without being able to go up or down in the table.

Every Man United fan knows how majority of us (and definitely I) felt some ten years ago, when the brightest points of our season would be Man City stopping our biggest, bitter rivals from winning PL or the best Spanish club of the era stopping them from winning CL - twice. With the roles being reversed now, I have to laugh to the extent of my “patheticness” (if that word really exists) having seen exactly the same behaviour from them now. I do feel some enjoyment that they’ve been confined to the status we were in ten years ago and I hope they remain there for foreseeable future, even if I don’t expect it.

I feel heartbroken for Klopp but maybe I shouldn’t, I guess. He’s rebuilt the club, won a full set of available trophies over the last three years, resetting the “X years since Liverpool won this trophy” counters on all of them (just to lay out the magnitude of his task: at the moment he won each of those trophies, it’s been 30 years since previous PL title, 14 years since previous CL title, 16 years since previous FA Cup, 10 years since previous League Cup and club had never won Club World Cup before him). From laughable challenges for the fourth spot to the talk of the unprecedented quadruple in ten years… That’s some turnaround, even if we failed to win the big two.

Being the anti-optimist that I am, I’m already worried about the next season with Edwards departing and uncertainties over the futures of the legendary front three and Keita. This is definitely a summer of rebuild, even if only two or three players might arrive but that’s for another topic.

The bottom line is: I’m happy with the season, I hope what we did this season will be the worst case scenario for every future season. I hope the boys take heart and learn from the very few failures we’ve had.

8 Likes

What does it tell you?
That we are underachieving or under performing?

Wonder what it tells Klopp? Has he got the same level of insight as you have?

I pretent that I did not see that childish coment at the end and answer your question.

It telss me that we are not the finised product, that we still needs to improve to make that last step to become the dominating side I believe we can be or we want to be.

I’m eager to know or learn what we are going to do this summer to get better, our squad is getting older and older. Do we need to renieuw Firmono, Mané and Salah, who to get for our midfield …

What I do know is that Cheaty just bought 20+ goals and that United probably will be on the way back, that Newcastle is comming and that the new owners of Chelsea did not buy them to play only for the T4 but to win something.

I asked this question earlier in the season. Alot of us said it is still a successful season if we had won the FA, CARABAO and UCL. But now that we did not, do you all still feel the same? I still feel the same. Its disappointing but we pushed it all the way in all competitions, how many teams have done that before? How many Liverpool teams have done that before? I wished we won everything of course but this team has made us believe and I continue to believe that the future can be brighter. Had a great season, all of us here had a great time too on the forum, lets enjoy the season break, see what we do in the window and look forward to preseason and the coming season.

5 Likes

I think City have bought more than 20+ goals. The other forward from South America, his name escapes me, is joining them this summer. Apparently he’s pretty good also.

Alisson: 53 games, 4800 mins
Kelleher: eight games, 750 minutes
Adrián: one game, 90 minutes

VVD: 51 games, 4620 mins
Trent: 47 games, 4234 min
Robertson: 47 games, 4003 mins
Matip: 43 games, 3705 mins
Konaté: 29 games, 2487 mins
Tsimikas: 26 games, 1712 mins
Gomez: 21 games, 1036 mins

Henderson: 57 games, 3876 mins
Fabinho: 48 games, 3693 mins
Thiago: 39 games, 2386 mins
Keïta: 40 games, 2086 mins
Curtis: 27 games, 1530 mins
AOC: 29 games, 1525 mins
Milner: 39 games, 1371 mins
Elliott: 11 games, 585 mins
Morton: nine games, 544 mins

Salah: 51 games, 4014 mins
Díaz: 54 games, 3963 mins
Mané: 51 games, 3938 mins
Jota: 55 games, 3572 mins
Firmino: 35 games, 1804 mins
Minamino: 24 games, 1008 mins
Origi: 18 games, 598 mins
Gordon: four games, 242 mins

3 Likes

Ok
Pretend what you like.
Within a hairs breath of winning everything and you can see what is wrong? And wonder about improvement?
I think that given the fact that City are bankrolled in such a dubious manner will mean we simply cannot outreach them.
They added two quality players after winning the league, we play honest after losing it.

Give me a few days and I’m sure I’ll be fine but right now I’m feeling a bit crushed. God knows how the players feel. The last week has been hard to take after such an amazing season. Missing out on the PL like that. The sight of those players celebrating Mo’s goal against Wolves as if it was the one that had won the title and then learning from the crowd that they hadn’t was heartbreaking.

Now a CL defeat preceded by a miserable and dangerous experience for the fans. Looks like we were so close to another major disaster. Shocking that this sort of thing is happening these days when usually crowd control and stadium access is so sophisticated.

Best thing about this season for me wasn’t winning the cups, although that was great. It was having fans back and having the chance again to go to watch us live. Sad to say not going to Anfield was the thing I probably missed most during the entire pandemic so going back felt like the last thing I had to do to actually feel normal again. The other great thing was JK signing a new contract. However bad I feel now I know I have at least 4 more years to enjoy the ride.

3 Likes

But that doesn’t automatically amount to an extra +20 goals.

City have spread the goals around a number of players this season, suddenly they are going to have a distinct change in the game as neither Haarland nor Alvarez really do a lot of link up play or bring others into the game. Both will look to be playing on the sholder of the defence so expect to see other players goal numbers drop, as they won’t be getting those opportunities.

Also, with Haarland, you need to factor in his injury record which is pretty poor already in the Bundesleague. He has only had 4 seasons where he has managed to play more than 20 league games. In a more physical and faster paced league, I can see him struggle to remain fit for more than half the season

7 Likes

Once the dust settles, we’ll appreciate this season is another Klopp triumph. He’s now won everything there is to win worth winning. Next year we focus everything on winning that second PL title.

8 Likes

Let’s flip it, when Dalglish missed out on the FA Cup that changed an great season to a good season, now under Klopp our expectations are far higher than they were at that period in our history so this to some seems a deflation which in fact it’s been a good season.

I wouldn’t say it’s been great but they’ve achieved a lot whilst playing on fumes, I think we will see a couple more come up and a couple go but I think after a 63 game season we probably need one that’s a bit less intensive. Diaz and Salah won’t go to the World Cup and a few others won’t eithier.

To me a really positive season with silverware after a poor Covid season prior. If you had told me what we would achieve at the beginning of the season I would have been fine with it. Just probably not how it ended.

My mate puts this season into perspective for me, she lost her dad last year and her mum this year, a huge red family. Still managed to attend both domestic finals… she reckons this has been a brilliant season for her and especially her son who is now living Liverpool life. Things like the kids Boss nights are gearing up the next generation, and football does help ease pain in lives… I like her outlook a lot.

8 Likes

I agree, had two sucker punches this year so the football helped ease that pain a lot as well as being a distraction

3 Likes

This season has been fantastic. Two trophies, in the final for a third and being in the race for the title until 20 minutes before the end of the season. If that isn’t a great season, what is?

You can add to this that we can count ourselves very lucky to have escaped another major disaster after what happened at Paris before the game. That should be seen as a positive, and it’s in big part down to the exemplary behaviour of the Liverpool supporters in front of obvious technical problems, deficiencies in terms of organisation, and police aggression.

So, this one will stay as a great season in my book, especially with lower expectations after our difficulties last season. We just missed that little bit energy to go all the way. The high number of games took their toll in the end, but you can equally say that the ugly sideshow in Paris affected the lads and prevented them from giving their all in a game in which the margins were always going to be at their tiniest.

But we’ll be back, and this season will be used as a major reference point and stepping stone for further successes, I’m sure of it.

6 Likes

Uhhhhh, winning the PL comes to mind, we had a good season not a great one IMO.

1 Like

I’m afraid I’d have to agree with Dutch here, on the grounds that the word “great” is overused and has lost its true meaning.

We have had an excellent season, lifting the two domestic cups, but a great one would have needed either the Premier League or the Champions League title as well.

3 Likes

For me, 2021-22 will always be about the Three Goal Deviation…pretty sure some boffin at Oxbridge has been working on it.

Anyways, it posits that Liverpool came within three goals of immortality…one goal in the league (scored or kept out, you choose) and two goals in the CL Final would have seen us complete the greatest season there ever was and ever will be.

Three fecking goals…

That we came so close…great season imo…

Interestingly, the above was the catalyst for the Great Gaffer Juncture…this is a scientifically proven technique which suggests that if you are ever feeling down, you just need to remember the fact that in the 4.5 billion timeline of our Mother Earth, you managed to exist at the same time as Jürgen Norbert Klopp.

5 Likes