Liverpool vs Ajax | CL Match Day 2 | Tue, 13 Sep, 20:00 | Anfield

A scapegoat is needed. Get with the programme!

How about the 4 goals he scored in one preseason game???

Not on his case or making him a scapegoat. Just a little nervous twitch around fitting in to the forward system and fluidity. I’m confident he will be OK after a few games.

I am confident too
why on earth wouldn’t they?

3-0 Kostas hattrick

5 Likes

I would be happy with a solid performance and a 1-0 win.

1 Like

With apologies to the Bard

A clean sheet, a clean sheet, my kingdom for a clean sheet!

Just slap a rubber on it, then you won’t have to give up your kingdom

It just occurred to me that after today we don’t play again until 1st October. We had better make the most of it. Unless someone wants to stick up a phantom thread where we can worry about banana skins or smashed shit?

No footy till 1 October only means one thing unfortunately - especially if we lose tonight. This forum will be full of wet knickers and cry babies more so than usual. I’ve compiled a summary of issues in advance to allow some of you to copy/paste.

• FSG are cunts
  • FSG don’t back Klopp financially
  • Klopp doesn’t get the support he needs
  • none of our midfielders are any decent
  • Nunez is shit - he should have 20 goals already this season
  • VAR and Refs
  • Milner should be put down - he’s 36 years old
  • Ox and Naby should just be thrown out the door - they’re cunts
  • Man City are cheating cunts - Newcastle too
  • Look [insert player name here] could have been signed
6 Likes

With the postponed games and our poor form this feels like a strange football game, not sure what to expect. Hopefully Thiago and Matip are up to full speed and Klopp has managed to get into the players heads.

1 Like

I hope we don’t sing YNWA during the minute’s silence like we’d normally do when somebody dies, and just actually respect the minute’s silence, and this is coming from someone who couldn’t really give two shits about the Queen.

I would be amazed if anyone disrupts the minute’s silence. That is definitely not us. Booing the national anthem is a different thing entirely.

I am hopeful of seeing an improved performance tonight mainly because we couldn’t be worse than we were against Napoli but also because we’ve been OK at Anfield this season. It’s the away performances that have been terrible. And Thiago’s back so that will help us get some control. Matip in for Gomez after his horror show against Napoli. I’m wondering whether Arthur might get a start ahead of Harvey. Harvey’s done well but his defensive work is not great and it leaves us open on that side. Fabinho’s been regularly overwhelmed this season, part of which is due to his poor form and extreme legginess but also because of his midfield partners. Looks to me like he’s being asked to cover too much ground. Most of all I just want to see some sort of recognisable pattern to our play. I expect the crowd to be right up for this so we need a quick start. Crucial that we get the first goal.

2 Likes

If anyone starts booing hopefully the majority will turn it into a minutes applause :clap:

1 Like

Almost expect rogue elements may do this to ferment anti-liverpool sentiment. You can bet that if one random person does something it will be blown up beyond all proportion by the media. At this point, with this scrutiny, it just seems inevitable

I hope you are right. Irrespective of feelings on monarchy etc, this is a tribute that requires a bit of respect.
I think the lack of significant Royal response post Hillsborough has wounded people, and the protest at the playing of the anthem signals such.

But this is different, and to be honest the eyes of a mourning nation is on Liverpool.
Show disrespect, even if justified signals the continued and increased negative narative about the people.

1 Like

I feel like I’ve been in North Korea for the past week. Any dissent against our overlords is clamped down on by police, and exaggerated and amplified in the subservient media

5 Likes

Portuguese referee Artur Dias will take charge of Liverpool for the first time in his career tonight. In his two Champions League games this season so far - both qualifiers - he has issued 11 yellow cards and one red card.

8 Likes