Liverpool vs Ajax | CL Match Day 2 | Tue, 13 Sep, 20:00 | Anfield

Let’s not forget that the Queen honoured the parents who had campaigned tirelessly for justice of the 96.

Queen Elizabeth II honoured them with a CBE.

Regardless of anyone’s feelings on the monarchy or the anthem. I think we can all respect that can’t we.

11 Likes

Lots of rival fans hope we boo so we get more bad publicity, so behave guys and do our club proud.

3 Likes

I’d hope that any booing is saved for after the minute’s silence.

It remains to be seen, but people can’t even accept basic requests to be respectful in the Queen Elizabeth thread on this forum, people are willing to excuse and justify the chants against Billy Gilmour and Steau Bucharest flags at the derby.
There will always be a section of the fanbase who aren’t willing to alter their behavior even after the thoughts of Klopp and Kenny to the contrary.

4 Likes

The difference here is it’s in the interests of liverpool football club (and Liverpudlians in general) to observe an official minutes silence as any deviation will be pounced upon and forever referred to because of existing stereotypes - irrespective of anything to do QEII.

4 Likes

What did you expect?

1 Like

Going on Twitter suggests to me we are not living in North Korea.

1 Like

I think it’s ridiculous to even suggest that Liverpool supporters won’t respect the silence (even thou I might of mentioned something along those lines).

This is a club that knows how to unconditionally show their compassionate side, need any evidence you just need to look back a while when one of the most hated footballers (from a footballing pov) was shown the utmost respect when he had just lost a child at birth.

I think the Anfield crowd will actually go over and above of what is expected, and I wouldn’t surprised if the was something done in the 96th second of the game, it’s a significant number that just happens to have something in common with a magnificent life, well lived.

2 Likes

That would take some coordination

3 Likes

Greame Souness was on talksport this morning saying that he expects most if not all of the crowd to show respect.
Those that don’t would be disrespecting the name of Liverpool football club on grand scale and in the eyes of the world.

Anyone that boo’s tonight would be disrespecting their own club.
If there are any that didn’t agree with the Queen or monarchy or whatever, they can show respect to LFC and the fans by at least keeping quiet

1 Like

u19s just gone 2 up.

3-0 now, hattrick for the kid who just signed a new deal.

It was the last time the fans booed the anthem, yet they still did it.

In the book of concerns I have about this game, anthem booing isn’t even on the first 500 pages.

3 Likes

Anthem booing will take the limelight away from the Fabinho/Milner midfield lineup :joy:

1 Like

Would be very easy for a Manc to get a ticket, don a Liverpool scarf and boo. Hey presto, media frenzy. If hundreds boo a minute’s silence, well, let’s hope they don’t.

I’ve been having nightmares about that the whole week. Thanks for the flashback

Minutes applause is much better.

2 Likes

Liverpool fans usually find it hard to get tickets.

Not sure why a fan of another club would find it “easy”, although I agree with your premise that infiltrators could give us a bad name.

No because it covers up people who can’t / won’t pay their respects.

Ebay, touts etc. You can always get a ticket if your pockets are deep enough. Making us look ridiculous tonight is worth a lot to some people I think. Hope I’m wrong, hope it’s silent.