Liverpool vs. Porto: Champions League, 20:00 Wed 24th November 2021

Play a strong team for about 60 minutes. I believe we still allowed 5 subs which we should use. Too much money on the
table to throw the game. Also Salah and Mane would love to add to their goal tally.

A lot of should’s and maybe’s…

Phrase it differently if you wish, but there’s no denying we’ve a lot of injury concerns. This should be reflected in a cautious team selection for Wednesday.

I expect that Klopp fields a proper team so not a U23 with a few first-team players.

We win 2-0.

3 Likes

Henderson and VVD should be nowhere near this.

If Jota is injured then it would be madness to risk Salah and Mane.

If Milner and Keita are fit then we can probably risk playing both Ox and Thiago.

If Robbo is injured then play Neco (or Milner if fit) at LB.

It’s all about weighing up who’s likely to be available for Saturday and the derby. If we take risks with players we cannot afford to lose then we deserve everything we get.

1 Like

Robbo had a late fitness test for Saturday’s game, which suggests he was almost fit enough to play against Arsenal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him line up against Everton.

1 Like

I think Klopp will field a relatively strong team, but I do think there may be one or two reserves in it to rest some of our guys. But we won’t field a reserve team, of that I am pretty certain. I would not mind being wrong though.

4 Likes

That’s good to know. It’s really annoying the lack of info we get on injured players, Jota being the latest. JK hinted at a knee injury but nothing since.

I think they were probably waiting for swelling to come down on Jota’s knee to see how it was before they could say anything. May be we find out more tomorrow or Wednesday.

It would be irresponsible to take any risks with players, even with 2.5m on the line. It’s a busy Christmas period and the chance to rest first teamers while others have to go strong shouldn’t be sniffed at.

I would go

Kelleher

Williams Phillips Konate Tsimikas

Morton

Hendo OxChamb

Salah Gordon Minamino

Don’t want to see Fabinho, Virgil, Trent, Matip, Thiago, Mane or Jota anywhere near the starting line up.

Hendo only did twenty on Saturday so can probably go again for an hour. I’d also like Ox to get the game to build on his good showing at the weekend.

6 Likes

Gordon cannot play in this game though.

Why is this?

If you want to prevent injuries the first thing to do is to keep away the likes of Ox, Keita and Matip from Games like this one.

We have 11 games in 38 days after this one.

Godon wasn’t named on the club’s A list and isn’t at club long enough to to eligible via B list. Annoying.

2 Likes

We will not get bored then :innocent:

Anyone needing match minutes from the first team I’d play.

I don’t think Fabinho, Henderson, Mane or Salah should be near this or VVD for that reason.

Don’t see why Kelleher shouldn’t play eithier the guy deserves the minutes.

If Milner and Keita are fit I’d consider all two I’d probably play Tsimkas anyhow without Jota who probably won’t be risked even if he can play (and staying on for 15 minutes I’m doubtful it’s that bad) we are short up top.

Ox to start as one of the front three? Origi might be available for this but who knows. I’m more comfortable with playing say Mane in this at Anfield than the one in Milan in 2 weeks time.

3 Likes

I think Klopp will rotate to some extent but not chuck on the kids. Aside from the 2.5 Mill it’s pointless giving experience to younger players if they don’t have experience around them.

The other thing to bear in mind is that we have up to 5 substitutes so even if we start with first choice players it doesn’t mean that we end with them. I’d start with Kelleher, Konate and Minamino because they all need game time. Neco, Origi and Gomez should all be on at some point for the same reason. Of the younger players I’d like to see Morton get a few minutes under his belt. It’s a pity that Gordon can’t play.

3 Likes

Tired Giving Up GIF by Strays

Kelleher

Neco Konaté Phillips Tsimikas

AOC Morton Beck

Taki Cannonnier Origi

1 Like

A very rare occasion where I wouldn’t mind losing just to spite Atletico and Simeone.