Liverpool vs. Porto: Champions League, 20:00 Wed 24th November 2021

Alisson
Williams Matip Konate Tsimikas
Chamberlain Morton Thiago
Salah Minamino Jota

Subs: Kelleher, Adrian; Bradley, Beck, van Dijk, Henderson, Fabinho, Dixon-Bonner, Mane

I think we will go with something like that - stronger than most would expect.

3 Likes

Where did the £2.5m figure come from. I wouldn’t have Salah anywhere near the squad. Why take the risk? Will cost us a lot more than 2.5m if he was to get injured for months.

Remember Jota’s injury in a dead rubber helped to balls up last season.

Play the kids and anyone who needs game time.

It’s the bonus teams get for winning games in the CL

Looks like Thiago will be starting seeing as he’s sitting doing the press conference now

1 Like

I think this is likely. A strong spine with a handful of key players either fully rested or just playing part of the game. Then perhaps different players being rested for the Milan game. I don’t see a team packed with kids being picked.

2 Likes

Results-based Champions League prize money: how it breaks down in 2021/22

Teams will earn money for positive group-stage results and for every round of the tournament they negotiate - and if a club wins every group match and goes on to lift the trophy in St Petersburg next May, it will net a total of 85.1m euros, up from the previous maximum of 82.5m.

This year’s Champions League prize money breaks down as follows:

What 2021/22 UCL clubs will get in prize-money payments

• 15.64m euros for qualifying for the group stage

• 2.8m euros per group-stage win, 930,000 euros per group-stage draw

• 9.6m euros for qualifying for the last 16

• 10.6m euros for qualifying for the quarter-finals

• 12.5m euros for qualifying for the semi-finals

• 15.5m euros for qualifying for the final

• 4.5m euros for winning the final

In addition to a potential 85.1m euros in prize money directly related to the Champions League, the tournament winners also stand to receive 3.5m euros for qualifying for the UEFA Super Cup, and another 1m euros if they win the European football season’s curtain-raiser, which is to be held in Helsinki in August 2022.

Additional Champions League money

Prize money is not the only source of Champions League revenue for the 32 clubs, who will also pocket TV income, and payments based on their ranking in the European game.

3 Likes

Does seem he will be considering Hendo and Robbo.

Personally I’d give Robbo a week off evidently these occasional injuries are due to over playing.

Thiago doing the PC suggests he will start that’s fair enough he needs the game time.

Did he mention Jota?

1 Like

Saw a TIA tag line suggesting both being rested tomorrow.

I’m still traumatized from Jota’s last dead rubber match.

85.14m John, don’t make us search the sofa again.

2 Likes

First question on today’s briefing was about Ole’sacking. Klopp: I didn’t think about Manchester United for a second. Sorry.
What a legend.

10 Likes

If I was at a bar with Klopp and he leaned over to me and whispered “fancy a bum?”, I wouldn’t even hesitate to oblige.

Mind you, I feel the same way about @SBYM so maybe I have some soul searching to do, idk…

3 Likes

I would probably go strong for the first 45 minutes to try get a big scoreline for us if possible and the second half to be a glorified training session for us.

1st Half : Kelleher, Williams, Gomez, Konate, Tsimikas, Morton, Thiago, AOC, Salah, Minamino, Jota
2nd half : Kelleher,Williams, Gomez, Konate, Robbo, Morton, Hendo, Thiago (replaced at 60th minute by any fit midfielders left) , Minamino, Origi, Mane

Couple lads could do with some game time but I think we go out with the plan of 80% effort max and almost pre-plan the subs irrespective of the score at the time

Kelleher - seems silly to risk the holy goalie in this one
Neco - could do with a game
Konate - another chance to show what he can do
Phillips - no need to risk either of the other two
Tsimikas - no need to risk Robbo

Fabinho - better when he’s in rhythm so keep it going. one to sub off though
Morton - Fuck it, why not
Ox - tell him same again please

Big Div - pretty much only time he’ll get a game
Jota - Better to risk him than Mane or Mo
Minamino - prove you’re more worthy of a place than Div on the bench next week

Bench - Matip, Robbo for a few minutes late on, Hendo/Thiago to replace Fabinho, bunch of kids hopefully including Gordon and Musialowski for an exciting cameo up top late on instead of Mane or Mo.

4 Likes

I’m genuinely torn on this. There is nothing like seeing Liverpool win football matches, but I really don’t want another Jota, and there is something appealing about fucking Atletico.

4 Likes

Both can’t play because they have not been named in the A list or satisfy the rules around length of time at the club.

1 Like

we’re unlikely to face them in this tournament again, which of the teams in our group would we want our rivals to face?

5 Likes

Well then fuck it, sack it all off, take the 3-0 loss and don’t risk any injuries :rage:

Fully understand everyone’s desire to keep everyone safe in this game…but completely goes against the entire DNA of this team and club.

Kelleher
Trent Matip Konate Tsmikas
Hendo Fab Thiago
Salah Minamino Mane

Subs - Ox, Jota, Neco, Phillips, Origi (if healthy)

3 Likes

Jota, Milner, Robbo, Williams, Origi all full training.

Might be worth Klopp giving his AFCON front line a go minus Bobby.

Not really one who wants to protect players at all cost, they could just as easily get injured in training. Need to keep up the much talked about rhythm.

3 Likes